Richie Shaffer stole the show in Sunday evening’s game against the Jupiter Hammerheads at Charlotte Sports Park. With a game tied at six in the 11th inning, Shaffer, who was already 3-for-5, delivered a double to left field to end the ballgame and thus secure a 7-6 victory for the Stone Crabs.
The Stone Crabs’ third baseman was not the only one with a memorable performance in the extra-inning matchup. Drew Vettleson also finished 4-for-6, had an RBI of his own, and served as the winning run plated by Shaffer off James Nygren, who took the loss for Jupiter (7-4). Earlier, Jeff Malm and Kes Carter smacked a homerun apiece in the third and eighth innings respectively.
Starter Dylan Floro had another strong outing. Floro went seven innings, allowing three runs and striking out two. The Stone Crabs at the time held a 6-3 lead, but with Lenny Linsky on the mound three unearned runs came home in the eighth via Drew Vettleson and Jeff Malm errors.
Shay Crawford would be Charlotte’s winning pitcher (2-3). Crawford entered the game in the ninth and totaled two and two-thirds innings, allowing one baserunner via walk and striking out two.
The Stone Crabs now hold a four game lead in the FSL South, as the Palm Beach Cardinals and St. Lucie Mets both lost their respective games. The team now travels to St. Lucie for a three game set starting tomorrow. First pitch is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. with Ryan Carpenter slated for the start.
- Willie Argo (LF): 1 for 6
- Jake Hager (SS): 2 for 6 with 2 runs scored
- Drew Vettleson (RF): 4 for 6 with a double, an RBI, and 2 runs scored
- Richie Shaffer (3B): 4 for 6 with 2 doubles and 4 RBIs
- Alejandro Segovia (DH): 0 for 2 with 3 walks
- Jeff Malm (1B): 1 for 5 with a homerun, an RBI, and a run scored
- Taylor Motter (2B): 0 for 5
- Jake DePew (C): 2 for 5 with a run scored
- Kes Carter (CF): 1 for 5 with a homerun, an RBI, and a run scored
- Dylan Floro: 3 earned runs off 5 hits and 2 strikeouts in 7 innings
- Lenny Linsky: 3 unearned runs off 4 hits and a strikeout in 1.1 innings
- Shay Crawford (W, 2-3): 2.2 scoreless, hitless innings with a walk and 2 strikeouts