Stone Crabs pitching has highlighted several games in August, and Wednesday’s doubleheader against the Fort Myers Miracle added itself to that trend. Matt Ramsey and Jared Mortensen both gained their first wins, with Mortensen sparkling in his debut start in game two by throwing a complete-game, two-hit shutout to maintain a perfect ERA. Game one’s 2-1 victory was snagged in extra innings, while game two finalized at 6-0.
Grayson Garvin took the mound for game one, but did not receive the decision despite a strong four-inning outing. The Stone Crabs tied the game in the sixth via a Jake Hager RBI single, and the game was then put into Matt Ramsey’s hands. Ramsey breezed through the two extra innings, surrendering only one hit to Byron Buxton in the eighth.
Ramsey would gain his first win (1-0) due to a walk-off effort by his offense. Willie Argo led off the bottom of the ninth with a single, eventually advancing to third base on an error and double play. With two outs, Drew Vettleson smacked a clutch single off Chad Rodgers to plate Argo and secure game one’s victory and Rodgers’ loss (7-2).
Game two featured Jared Mortensen in his debut start. Mortensen had pitched two relief innings on August 17, and managed to keep his ERA perfect with a complete game shutout. Mortensen, in the seven innings, quelled Fort Myers’ bats by limiting them to a tiny two hits. He fanned out four in the process and walked a pair.
The Independent League-signee is now 1-0 on the season, thanks in part to the explosive Stone Crabs bats. Charlotte totaled six runs, four (three earned) off Fort Myers starter Manuel Soliman, who would take the loss (1-7). Richie Shaffer pushed his batting average to .252 by recovering from a hitless game one with a 2-for-4 performance, earning two RBIs in the process.
The Stone Crabs take a three-game lead in the FSL South to a Thursday evening match-up, rounding out the series with the Miracle. First pitch is scheduled for 6:30 p.m., with Jake Partridge toeing the rubber.
Game 1 hitting
- Taylor Motter (LF): 1 for 4 with a run scored
- Jake Hager (SS): 1 for 4 with an RBI
- Willie Argo (CF): 1 for 3 with a walk and a run scored
- Richie Shaffer (DH): 0 for 4
- Alejandro Segovia (1B): 2 for 4
- Drew Vettleson (RF): 1 for 4 with a walk-off RBI single
- Hector Guevara (2B): 1 for 3
- Jake DePew (C): 0 for 3
- Jonathan Quinonez (3B): 1 for 3
Game 1 pitching
- Grayson Garvin: 1 earned run off 1 hit, and a strikeout in 4 innings
- Shay Crawford: 3 scoreless innings with 2 hits and 2 walks
- Matt Ramsey (W, 1-0): 2 scoreless innings with a hit and a strikeout
Game 2 hitting
- Willie Argo (LF): 1 for 3 with a walk and a run scored
- Jake Hager (SS): 1 for 4
- Drew Vettleson (RF): 1 for 3 with a walk and an RBI
- Richie Shaffer (3B): 2 for 4 with a double and 2 RBIs
- Alejandro Segovia (DH): 1 for 2 with a double and a run scored
- Jeff Malm (1B): 1 for 3 with a double, an RBI, and a run scored
- Hector Guevara (2B): 1 for 3 with a double and a run scored
- Luke Bailey (C): 1 for 3 with an RBI
- Kes Carter (CF): 1 for 3 with a double, an RBI, and 2 runs scored
Game 2 pitching
- Jared Mortensen (W, 1-0): a complete-game shutout with 2 hits, 2 walks, and 4 strikeouts