The Stone Crabs only squeezed a single run off of Palm Beach Cardinals’ starter Kyle Hald, but it proved to be the only one needed to gain the victory. Hald and Stone Crab southpaw Felipe Rivero engaged in a thunderous pitching duel beneath lightning and rain, but Hald relented in the fifth as Taylor Motter singled home Jonathan Quinonez, and would suffer the loss. Charlotte, as a result, was carried to a 1-0 victory.
One run gave Rivero enough of a cushion to work with. Rivero strode through six strong innings, denying Palm Beach a run despite six hits allowed, and striking out one. Upon the victory, he gained his eighth win of the season to bring his record to 8-7.
The lefty departed after walking Nick Longmire, yielding to new Stone Crab right-hander Jared Mortensen. Mortensen picked his way out of an eventual two-on, one out jam by coaxing Ronny Gil into a fly-out and forcing David Popkins to line out to Willie Argo. Mortensen and his successor Nate Garcia combined for three no-hit innings, with Garcia earning his tenth save.
The Stone Crabs welcome Palm Beach back to Charlotte Sports Park on Sunday to complete the home-and-home series. Start time is scheduled for 5:30, with Dylan Floro set to make his second start.
- Kes Carter (CF): 0 for 3 with a walk
- Jake Hager (SS): 0 for 4
- Willie Argo (RF): 2 for 3 with a double
- Richie Shaffer (DH): 0 for 3
- Alejandro Segovia (1B): 1 for 3
- Hector Guevara (2B): 2 for 3 with a double
- Jonathan Quinonez (3B): 1 for 3 with a double and a run scored
- Jake DePew (C): 0 for 3
- Taylor Motter (LF): 1 for 3 with an RBI
- Felipe Rivero (W, 8-7): a scoreless 6 innings, with 6 hits, 3 walks, and a strikeout
- Jared Mortensen: 2 scoreless, hitless innings with a walk and a strikeout
- Nate Garcia (S, 10): a scoreless, hitless inning with a walk and a strikeout