Charlotte Sports Park largely erupted in frustrated yells after a triple play crushed a no-out, ninth inning rally staged by the Stone Crabs. Sunday evening’s game against the Bradenton Marauders took several unexpected turns: a no hitter thrown by Zack Dodson and his successor Orlando Castro through eight quickly altered into the aforementioned attempted comeback. The Stone Crabs, despite staunch argument of the triple play call, fell 5-3.
The ninth inning began with Tyler Waldron on the mound for the Marauders and a leadoff walk to Willie Argo. Up to that point, Charlotte only managed three baserunners via walks allowed by starter Dodson, who pitched seven sparkling innings for one of the best outings of his career. Jake Hager broke the no-hitter with a single to left field.
With Drew Vettleson manning first base, and Argo and Hager on third and second respectively, Richie Shaffer shattered the shut-out with a single to right, scoring the latter pair. Alejandro Segovia followed Shaffer with an RBI single of his own, putting runners on the corners with nobody out.
Bradenton brought out Robert Kilcrease to face Jeff Malm. Malm, with a 2-2 count, brought the crowd to its feet with a seeming base hit to right fielder Willy Garcia. But first base umpire Clay Park ruled the diving attempt by Garcia as a catch despite what appeared to be a trapped ball, and from that Bradenton was able to turn a triple play. The call stayed put, and Zack Dodson earned the win (5-8) and Kilcrease the save (9).
Jake Partridge took the loss for Charlotte (2-5). Partridge worked five innings, allowing two earned runs and fanning out seven. Newcomer Mario Fernandez, a 19 year-old right hander promoted from the GCL Rays, allowed two runs in his FSL debut over an inning. Down 5-0 at the time, the Stone Crabs turned to Ben Kline for emergency relief, and he managed the three outs in the ninth with only ten pitches.
The Stone Crabs hope to shake off Sunday’s bizarre outing by sending Felipe Rivero to the mound Monday in the rubber game with Bradenton. First pitch is scheduled for 6:30 p.m.
- Willie Argo (LF): 0 for 2 with 2 walks and a run scored
- Jake Hager (SS): 1 for 4 with a run; broke the no-hit bid in the 9th
- Drew Vettleson (RF): 0 for 4 with a run
- Richie Shaffer (3B): 1 for 4 with 2 RBIs; broke the shutout
- Alejandro Segovia (DH): 1 for 3 with a walk and an RBI
- Hector Guevara (PR): 0 for 0
- Jeff Malm (1B): 0 for 4
- Jonathan Quinonez (2B): 0 for 3
- Luke Bailey (C): 0 for 3
- Kes Carter (CF): 0 for 2 with a walk
- Jake Partridge (L, 2-5): 2 earned runs off 5 hits, 2 walks, and 7 strikeouts in 5 innings
- Mario Fernandez: 2 earned runs off 5 hits, 3 walks, and a strikeout in 1 inning
- Bruedlin Suero: 1 earned run off 2 hits, a walk, and 4 strikeouts in 2 innings
- Ben Kline: a perfect inning with a strikeout