Six of the nine Stone Crabs batters boasted two-hit evenings, but despite their strong collective effort the Bradenton Marauders kept their lead in Saturday evening’s match. Between four Charlotte pitchers, the Marauders managed eight runs, creating a three-run gap that the Stone Crabs could not fill. Hence, game one was lost 8-5.
Grayson Garvin headed the Stone Crabs pitching for two innings, making his first FSL appearance since May 2012. Garvin surrendered two runs, only on of which was earned, and struck out four. The bulk of Bradenton’s insurance came off Andrew Bellatti, who would later take the loss (5-2). The right-hander allowed four runs, including a three-run blast to Willy Garcia in the fifth inning. Bradenton plated two more against Nate Garcia in the ninth, both runs unearned but scoring via a Jose Osuna single.
The Stone Crabs put up an overall strong offense performance, and had a 3-2 lead until the fifth. Jake Hager and Alejandro Segovia drove in two of the third inning’s trio of runs, with a Richie Shaffer double play serving as the catalyst for the scoring of Willie Argo. Joely Rodriguez, who the Stone Crabs had faced three times prior, allowed all three but would later take the win (3-3).
A rally was attempted in the seventh. Jeff Malm doubled home two off Pat Ludwig to cut the existing deficit to one run, but that’s all the Stone Crabs could get for the remainder of the game. Three more Bradenton pitchers stayed the Stone Crabs’ bats, with Emmanuel De Leon earning his fourth save.
The Stone Crabs look to recover with a win on Sunday afternoon against Bradenton once again. The team will send Jake Partridge to the mound in the 5:30 match.
- Willie Argo (CF): 2 for 5 with a run scored
- Jake Hager (SS): 2 for 5 with an RBI and two runs scored
- Drew Vettleson (RF): 2 for 5
- Richie Shaffer (3B): 2 for 5 with a run scored
- Alejandro Segovia (DH): 2 for 4 with a double and an RBI
- Jeff Malm (1B): 1 for 4 with a double and 2 RBIs
- Hector Guevara (2B): 0 for 4
- Jake DePew (C): 1 for 4
- Jonathan Quinonez (LF): 2 for 4 with a double and a run
- Grayson Garvin: 2 runs (1 earned) off 3 hits, a walk, and 4 strikeouts in 2 innings
- Andrew Bellatti (L, 5-2): 4 earned runs (1 HR) off 5 hits, a walk,and 3 strikeouts in 4 innings
- Shay Crawford: a hit, a walk, and 2 strikeouts in 2 innings
- Nate Garcia: 2 runs (none earned) off a hit, 2 walks, and a strikeout in an inning