Monday night’s rubber game against the Brevard County Manatees was characterized foremost by smoldering offense. The Stone Crabs quickly recovered from an early 1-0 deficit, scoring eight through the duration. Paired with a sparkling outing from Sean Bierman and a solid relief effort, the Stone Crabs were able to take three of four against the Manatees, closing out the set with an 8-1 win.
The Stone Crabs biggest inning was the fourth. By then the team had already secured the lead, having scored two in the second (and thereby giving starter Damien Magnifico his second loss of the season) but the added insurance was welcome. Kes Carter drove in the first run of the frame with an RBI double, leading the way for four more runs. Luke Bailey and Jonathan Quinonez had one apiece, with Bailey ending the night 2-for-3 with three RBIs. Jake Hager grabbed two of his own thereafter to close out the five-run inning.
Starter Sean Bierman’s only inning of struggle was the first. Seven Brevard County hitters came to the plate, but only managed one run off the left-hander, who was making his first start with the Charlotte squad. Bierman settled down drastically thereafter, not allowing another baserunner until the fifth via a Cody Hawn single. Bierman totaled six innings, with four hits and four strikeouts. He gained the win (1-1).
Charlotte’s bullpen hushed Brevard County through three combined innings. Andrew Bellatti, Shay Crawford, and Nate Garcia collectively struck out three and none surrendered a hit.
The Stone Crabs look forward to a day off on Tuesday, followed by a home-and-home series against the Fort Myers Miracle beginning Wednesday with a game at Charlotte Sports Park. Scheduled start time is 6:30 p.m.
- Willie Argo (LF): 2 for 4 with a walk and 2 runs scored
- Jake Hager (SS): 2 for 5 with 2 RBIs
- Drew Vettleson (RF): 1 for 5
- Alejandro Segovia (DH): 2 for 3 with a run scored
- Ben Kline (PH-DH): 0 for 1
- Jeff Malm (1B): 1 for 2 with 2 walks and 2 runs scored
- Hector Guevara (2B): 0 for 4 with a walk and a run scored
- Kes Carter (CF): 1 for 2 with 2 walks, a double, an RBI, and a run scored
- Luke Bailey (C): 2 for 3 with 3 RBIs
- Jonathan Quinonez (3B): 1 for 4 with an RBI and a run scored
- Sean Bierman (W, 1-1): 1 earned run off 4 hits, and 4 strikeouts in 6 innings
- Andrew Bellatti: a perfect inning with 2 strikeouts
- Shay Crawford: a perfect inning
- Nate Garcia: a walk and a strikeout in an inning