The Stone Crabs tried hard to at least sustain a tie through the ninth inning, but fell in the end of Sunday’s match against the Brevard County Manatees. The 6-6 score was broken with two outs in the top of the ninth, and Charlotte could not answer in the bottom half of the frame. Thus, game three was lost 9-6. er
The Stone Crabs picked up a 2-1 lead in the second inning on a two-run single by Jake DePew, scoring Alejandro Segovia and recently-added Hector Guevara. Guevara later rounded out a strong 2-for-4 performance by jumping on a 1-0 pitch in the fifth inning for a solo homerun.
Charlotte bruised Brevard County reliever Tommy Toledo in the eighth with a three-run rally. Jeff Malm hit a clutch two-out single to plate Ben Kline and lead the way for a two-RBI ground rule double by Alejandro Segovia. The scoring halted thereafter, and Toledo, despite allowing three runs (two inherited, one of his own), gained the win (3-2).
Felipe Rivero took the mound for the Stone Crabs and lasted five innings, allowing five earned runs off 11 hits and striking out three. One of his runs was surrendered by his successor Matt Ramsey, who continued for a scoreless two and a third innings.
Bruedlin Suero came in for a third of an inning and was later tagged with the loss (0-1) after being tacked with the losing run. Suero put Nick Delmonico on board to start the ninth, and Delmonico later scored on a two-RBI single by D’Vontrey Richardson off Lenny Linsky. Yadiel Rivera soon picked up an RBi for the final run of the game.
The Stone Crabs look to shake off the loss on Monday evening in the rubber game of the Brevard County series. Game is scheduled for 6:30 with Sean Bierman slated for the start.
- Kes Carter (CF): 0 for 3 with 2 walks and a run scored
- Jake Hager (SS): 2 for 5
- Drew Vettleson (RF): 0 for 3 with a walk and a run
- Richie Shaffer (DH): 0 for 3 with a walk
- Jeff Malm (LF): 1 for 4 with an RBI
- Alejandro Segovia (1B): 2 for 4 with a double, 2 RBIs, and a run scored
- Hector Guevara (2B): 2 for 4 with a double, a homerun, an RBI and 2 runs scored
- Jake DePew (C): 1 for 4 with 2 RBIs
- Ben Kline (3B): 1 for 4 with a run scored
- Felipe Rivero: 6 runs (5 earned) off 11 hits, a walk, and 3 strikeouts over 5.1 innings
- Matt Ramsey: a scoreless, hitless 2.1 innings with 4 walks and a strikeout
- Bruedlin Suero (L, 0-1): an earned run and a hit in 0.1 innings
- Lenny Linsky: 2 runs (1 earned) off 3 hits, and a walk in 1 innings