The smoking Stone Crabs offense showcased their bats in Friday night’s match against the Brevard County Manatees. The team worked out of a 3-3 tie in the fifth inning and thereafter scored three more between the sixth and seventh to secure the victory. Solid relief pitching held the lead and pulled the Stone Crabs to a 7-3 win.
A fifth inning run gave the Stone Crabs the needed insurance. Richie Shaffer earned RBI number 59 by doubling home Drew Vettleson off Brevard County starter Cody Scarpetta, bringing the score to 4-3. The run was Scarpetta’s last, and as a result he took the loss for the Manatees (0-5).
Charlotte decided that they needed a bit more run support. Jake Hager and Drew Vettleson hit back-to-back sacrifice flies in the sixth, Hager’s second of the night and Vettleson’s first. Kes Carter offered up the final run with a two-out single in the seventh, a snug cushion for the relievers to work with.
Ryan Carpenter toed the rubber for three and two-thirds innings, allowing two earned runs off seven hits, an unearned run also in his line. The trio of runs came in the fourth inning. Home plate umpire John Libka called catcher’s interference on Jake DePew during Ben McMahan’s at-bat, subsequently loading the bases. Gregory Hopkins singled two of them home, and T.J. Mittelstaedt followed with an RBi double to plate McMahan.
Carpenter gave way to Andrew Bellatti, who kept the Manatees off the bases for two and two-thirds innings, fanning out four and later gaining his fifth win of the season (5-1). Shay Crawford, Lenny Linsky, and Bruedlin Suero finished the final frames, limiting Brevard County to a mere two hits.
The Stone Crabs, who share the FSL South’s number one slot with the St. Lucie Mets, look for a solo lead on Saturday evening against Brevard County once more. Rehabbing Tampa Bay Ray Alex Cobb will make the start, with the first pitch scheduled for 6:30.
- Ryan Brett (2B): 2 for 4 with a walk and a double
- Jake Hager (SS): 2 for 3 with a walk and 2 RBIs
- Drew Vettleson (RF): 2 for 4 with a double, an RBI sac fly, and a run scored
- Richie Shaffer (3B): 1 for 4 with a walk, a double, and an RBI
- Jeff Malm (1B): 1 for 4 with a solo homerun, an RBI, and a run scored
- Alejandro Segovia (DH): 0 for 4
- Willie Argo (LF): 1 for 3 with a hit-by-pitch and 2 runs scored
- Jake DePew (C): 2 for 4 with 2 runs scored
- Kes Carter (CF): 1 for 3 with a walk, an RBI, and a run scored
- Ryan Carpenter: 3 runs (2 earned) off 7 hits, 2 walks, and 2 strikeouts in 3.2 innings
- Andrew Bellatti (W, 5-1): 2.2 perfect innings with 4 strikeouts
- Shay Crawford: a scoreless, hitless .2 innings with 2 walks
- Lenny Linsky: a walk and a strikeout in 1 scoreless, hitless inning
- Bruedlin Suero: 2 hits and a strikeout in 1 inning