The Stone Crabs watched an early lead disappear as they fell to the Lakeland Flying Tigers 8-4 on Tuesday night at Joker Marchant Stadium. The loss ended the Stone Crabs three game winning streak and evened the series at a game apiece.
The Stone Crabs grabbed an early lead by striking for two runs in the opening frame. Ryan Brett doubled to right to lead off the inning. He then scored on an RBI double by Drew Vettleson. Vettleson would later score on a single by Willie Argo to give the Stone Crabs a 2-0 lead.
Lakeland cut the lead in half by scoring in the third inning. They loaded the bases and then Aaron Westlake drew a bases loaded walk to score their first run of the night.
The Stone Crabs matched the run and added another in the top of the fourth. Jake DePew singled followed by a double by Jonathan Quinonez to put runners at second and third with one out. Both runners would later score on an error to extend the Stone Crabs lead to 4-1.
But the Flying Tigers bounced back to tie the game in the bottom of the fourth. Jason Krizan had a two run double and the scored on a single by Dixon Machado to tie the game 4-4.
Lakeland took their first lead of the contest in the following inning. Shay Crawford struggled out of the bullpen, getting into a jam early by walking two batters and hitting another to load the bases. He then hit Krizan with the bases loaded to push across the go ahead run. Two more runs game on a single by Machado to give Lakeland a 7-4 lead.
Lakeland added an insurance run in the bottom of the eighth inning on an RBI single by Westlake that handed the Stone Crabs the 8-4 defeat.
Crawford suffered the loss for the Stone Crabs. Patrick Cooper was the winning pitcher for Lakeland.
The series continues with game three on Wednesday night at Joker Marchant Stadium.
- Ryan Brett (2B): 1 for 5 with a double, RBI and a run scored
- Jake Hager (SS): 2 for 4 with a triple
- Drew Vettleson (RF): 2 for 5 with a double, RBI and a run scored
- Richie Shaffer (3B): 1 for 4 with a double
- Alejandro Segovia (1B): 1 for 3 with a walk
- Willie Argo (DH): 2 for 4 with an RBI
- Kes Carter (CF): 0 for 4
- Jake DePew (C): 2 for 4 with a run scored
- Jonathan Quinonez (LF): 1 for 4 with a double and a run scored
- Felipe Rivero: 4 runs on 9 hits with 3 strikeouts and 3 walks in 4 innings
- Shay Crawford (Loss, 1-2): 3 runs on 2 hits with 2 walks and a strikeout in 2 innings
- Matt Ramsey: 1 run on 4 hits with a strikeout and a walk in 2 innings