The Stone Crabs rallied in the ninth inning to take the series opener against the Lakeland Flying Tigers on Monday night at Joker Marchant Stadium. The win is the Stone Crabs third straight victory and first of the year against Lakeland.
The Stone Crabs jumped out to an early lead in the second inning. Alejandro Segovia went deep for his 14th home run of the season, a solo shot that gave them a 1-0 lead.
Lakeland answered with a home run of their own in the bottom of the second. A two-run home run by Steven Moya gave the Flying Tiger a 2-1 lead.
But the Stone Crabs wasted no time tying the game, scoring a run in the top of the third to even things at 2-2. The Stone Crabs loaded the bases with a walk to Willie Argo, Ryan Brett reached on an error and a walk to Jake Hager. Drew Vettleson then drove home Argo with a bases loaded single to tie the game.
The game would remain tied until the bottom of the fiffth inning when the Flying Tigers struck for a run. An RBI double by John Murrian would score Corey Jones and give Lakeland a 3-2 lead.
The Stone Crabs used the long ball again to tie the game in the seventh inning. This time it was Brett going deep with a solo homer to tie the game 3-3.
The Stone Crabs put together a game winning rally in the top of the ninth inning. It got started with the Stone Crabs loading the bases once again. Luke Bailey singled to center, Brett drew a walk and Hager singled to short to load the bases. Vettleson knocked home two runs with a single to center. Then Richie Shaffer drove home another run to give the Stone Crabs the 6-3.
Felipe Rivero picked up the win for the Stone Crabs. Slade Smith was the losing pitcher for Lakeland.
The series continues on Tuesday night at Joker Marchant Stadium.
- Ryan Brett (2B): 1 for 4 with a home run and 2 runs scored
- Jake Hager (SS): 2 for 4 with a double and a run scored
- Drew Vettleson (RF): 2 for 5 with 3 RBI’s
- Richie Shaffer (3B): 1 for 5 with an RBI
- Jeff Malm (1B): 0 for 5
- Alejandro Segovia (DH): 3 for 5 with a double, triple and a home run
- Kes Carter (CF): 0 for 4
- Luke Bailey (C): 1 for 4 with a run scored
- Willie Argo (LF): 0 for 1 with 2 walks and a run scored
- Brandon Gomes: 2 runs on 2 hits with 3 strikeouts in 1 2/3 innings
- Felipe Rivero (Win, 7-7): 1 run on 3 hits with 4 strikeouts and 2 walks in 7 1/3 innings