The Stone Crabs picked up a series split by beating the Tampa Yankees 8-2 in Sunday’s getaway game at George Steinbrenner Field. They used a late game rally fuel by the long ball to overcome an early deficit and hit the road with a win. But tempers flared this afternoon as an argument over a home run ball saw the Stone Crabs skipper get tossed early.
Tampa jumped out to an early 2-0 lead in the second inning. Robert Refsnyder and Jose Toussen each drove home a run to give the Yankees a 2-0 lead.
Things got exciting for the Stone Crabs in the third inning. Luke Bailey hit an apparent home run just inside the left foul pole. But after field review, homeplate umpire Rich Gonzalez reversed the call and declared it a foul ball. Stone Crabs manager Brady Williams argued the ruling and was tossed from the game. Afterwards, play was delayed as Williams threw bats onto the field in disgust.
The Stone Crabs trailed until the top of the sixth inning when they fought back to tie the game. Ryan Brett reached on an error to open the inning, followed by a walk to Kes Carter. Drew Vettleson drove home Brett with a single to left. Alejandro Segovia later drove home Carter with a sac fly to tie the game 2-2.
The Stone Crabs momentum carried over into the seventh inning where they struck for six more runs. Ryan Brett doubled home Jonathan Quinonez. Brett later scoed on an RBI single by Carter. Then Richie Shaffer and Segovia each smacked two run homer to give the Stone Crabs a 8-2 lead.
The bullpen kept the Yankees off the scoreboard the remainder of the afternoon as the Stone Crabs won the series finale.
Lenny Linsky was the winner for the Stone Crabs. Alex Smith suffered the loss for Tampa.
The Stone Crabs current road trip continues with a four game series against the Lakeland Flying Tigers. The first game of the series is scheduled for Monday night at Joker Marchant Stadium.
- Ryan Brett (2B): 2 for 5 with a double and 2 run scored
- Kes Carter (CF): 2 for 4 with an RBI and 2 runs scored
- Drew Vettleson (RF): 2 for 5 with an RBI
- Richie Shaffer (3B): 2 for 5 with a two-run homer
- Jeff Malm (1B): 0 for 2 with 3 walks and a run scored
- Alejandro Segovia (DH): 1 for 4 with a home run and 3 RBI’s
- Willie Argo (LF): 1 for 4
- Luke Bailey (C): 0 for 3
- Jonathan Quinonez (SS): 1 for 4 with a run scored
- Jake Partridge: 2 runs on 5 hits with 4 strikeouts and 2 walks
- Lenny Linsky (Win, 6-5): 3 2/3 scoreless innings with a hit, 3 strikeouts and a walk
- Nate Garcia: 1 no-hit inning with a walk