The Stone Crabs saw their lead slip away in the seventh inning, leading them to a 4-3 loss in game two of Friday’s doubleheader against the Tampa Yankees at George Steinbrenner Field.
The Stone Crabs broke the scoreless tied by scoring two runs in the top of the third inning. Drew Vettleson singled to right followed by Richie Shaffer reaching on an error to put two runners on the bases with two outs. Jeff Malm then delivered a double to right scoring both runners and giving the Stone Crabs a 2-0 lead.
The Yankees cut the lead in half by scoring in the bottom of the third. Curtis Granderson singled home Ali Castillo to pull within a run of the lead.
The Stone Crabs extended their lead by scoring again in the fourth. Kes Carter went deep to right for his sixth homer of the season to give the Stone Crabs a 3-1 lead.
The lead held until the seventh inning when the Yankees offense struck for three runs in the frame. They came a home run shy of the cycle in the inning, using two singles, a double and a triple to take a 4-3 lead.
The Stone Crabs couldn’t recover and they fell 4-3 in the second game of the four game series.
Sean Bierman was charged with the loss for the Stone Crabs. Charley Short was the winner for Tampa and Taylor Garrison picked up the save.
Game three of the series will take place on Saturday evening at George Steinbrenner Field. First pitch was moved up to 5:30 due to a night practice for the Tampa Bay Bucs.
- Willie Argo (LF): 0 for 4
- Jake Hager (SS): 0 for 4
- Drew Vettleson (RF): 2 for 3 with a run scored
- Richie Shaffer (3B): 0 for 4 with a run scored
- Jeff Malm (1B): 1 for 3 with a double
- Alejandro Segovia (DH): 2 for 4
- Kes Carter (CF): 2 for 4 with a home run
- Jake DePew (C): 0 for 4
- Jonathan Quinonez (2B): 0 for 4
- Brandon Gomes: 1 2/3 scoreless innings with 2 hits and a strikeout
- Sean Bierman (Loss, 0-1): 4 run on 5 hits with 6 strikeouts in 8 innings