The Stone Crabs suffered a tough loss in the Wednesday night rubber match against the Dunedin Blue Jays. Felipe Rivero trudged through six and a third innings and was charged with seven earned runs of the eight total. Charlotte’s offense could not overcome the deficit, and therefore settled with a series split in an 8-5 loss.
Regardless of the loss, one positive arrived in the name of Jonathan Quinonez. The newcomer, who was promoted yesterday from Short-Season Hudson Valley, earned his first hit and first two RBIs on the squad in the same at-bat by singling home Jeff Malm and Alejandro Segovia in the seventh. Austin Bibens-Dirkx, the starter, allowed the all five runs (three earned), but gained the win for his effort (7-3).
The stadium was hushed in the top of the sixth inning as an ankle injury to Dunedin’s Peter Mooney stilled play for a time. Mooney was carted from the field, and a batter later K.C. Hobson slapped a three-run homerun to plate pinch-runner Shane Opitz and Michael Crouse. Hobson proved a bane for the Stone Crabs once again by knocking in six RBIs.
After walking two in the top of the seventh, Rivero, who was tagged with the loss (6-7) exited the game and handed the ball and two baserunners over to Matt Ramsey. Ramsey allowed both to score, and finished the remaining two and two-thirds innings without being tagged with a run of his own.
The Stone Crabs travel to Tampa for a four-game set against the Yankees as part of an eight-game road trip. Roberto Gomez will take the mound in a 7:00 p.m. match.
- Ryan Brett (DH): 2 for 4 with a double, an RBI, and a run scored
- Jake Hager (SS): 0 for 3
- Drew Vettleson (RF): 1 for 4
- Richie Shaffer (3B): 0 for 3 with a sac-fly RBI
- Jeff Malm (LF): 0 for 4 with a run scored
- Alejandro Segovia (1B): 1 for 4 with a run scored
- Kes Carter (CF): 2 for 4 with a double and 2 runs scored
- Jake DePew (C): 0 for 4
- Jonathan Quinonez (SS): 1 for 4 with 2 RBIs
- Felipe Rivero (L, 6-7): 8 runs (7 earned) off 6 hits, 3 walks, and a strikeout over 6.1 innings
- Matt Ramsey: 2.2 scoreless innings, with 4 hits, 2 walks, and a strikeout