Spectators at Charlotte Sports Park on Saturday evening leading into Sunday morning witnessed two unusual spectacles in 22 total innings of baseball against the Daytona Cubs. The suspended game from Friday continued into extra innings to start the night and ended with a Stone Crabs 1-0 victory, and game two spanned a total of 15 innings before finally being called. The game, as a result, ended in a 2-2 tie.
The continuation of Friday’s match lasted an additional seven frames and about two and a half hours, with the tiebreaker coming in the bottom of the 13th inning. With the game still scoreless, Kes Carter bounced a two-out single up the first baseline to score Jake Hager and give the Stone Crabs a 1-0 victory. Lenny Linsky earned the win for the Stone Crabs.
An even stranger game commenced at approximately 8:16 p.m. The Stone Crabs and Cubs fought both on the offensive and pitching fronts. At the plate, Charlotte scored first as Ryan Brett lead off with a triple and scored on a Drew Vettleson doubleplay. The team plated one more in the sixth, with Richie Shaffer earning an RBI on a single to center field.
Roberto Gomez took the hill after a one-inning rehab start from Tampa Bay Ray Brandon Gomes. The right-hander pitched efficiently, striking out five and surrendering two runs in six and two-thirds innings. Jake Partridge and Sean Bierman relieved Gomez, with the latter going five innings and both refusing to allow an additional run.
The Cubs’ four relief pitchers after starter Matt Loosen proved just as stubborn on the bump as Charlotte’s arms. The two sides battled it out until approximately 1 a.m., when the umpires finally opted to utilize part of the MLB official rulebook to terminate the game in a 2-2 tie. The result does not alter either team’s record.
The Stone Crabs continue Sunday by welcoming the Dunedin Blue Jays into town for four games. First pitch is scheduled for 5:30 p.m.
Box Game 2
- Ryan Brett (2B): 3 for 6 with a walk, a triple, and 2 runs scored
- Jake Hager (SS): 0 for 4 with 3 walks
- Drew Vettleson (RF): 2 for 7
- Richie Shaffer (3B): 2 for 6 with a walk, a double, and an RBI
- Alejandro Segovia (1B): 0 for 1 with a walk and 2 hit-by-pitches
- Willie Argo (PR-LF): 0 for 2 with a walk
- Curt Casali (C): 0 for 6 with a walk
- Jeff Malm (LF-1B): 0 for 7
- Luke Bailey (DH): 2 for 7
- Kes Carter (CF): 0 for 5 with a walk
- Brandon Gomes: 1 perfect inning
- Roberto Gomez: 2 earned runs (1 homerun) off six hits, 1 walk, and 5 strikeouts over 6.2 innings
- Jake Partridge: 4 walks in 2.1 scoreless innings
- Sean Bierman: 4 hits and 2 strikeouts over 5 innings