The Stone Crabs failed to hold onto an early lead on Saturday evening at Brighthouse Field. The Clearwater Threshers struck hard in the middle innings and overtook Charlotte, creating a deficit that the Stone Crabs could not catch up from. Game two was lost with a 10-4 final.
The visiting Stone Crabs plated four runs between the second and third innings. A trio of them came in the second, initiated by a two-RBI single from Ryan Brett that brought home Jeff Malm and Willie Argo and stretched Brett’s hitting streak to 11 games. Thresher starter Nick Hernandez balked Brett and Kes Carter, who walked a batter earlier, up 90 feet, and Carter would score on an errant throw by shortstop Miguel Abreu. The Stone Crabs managed one more run off Hernandez in the next inning via a double by Alejandro Segovia.
Daniel Carela and Steven Inch served as a one-two bullpen punch for Clearwater, shutting down Charlotte for the remaining five innings. Carela earned the win (1-0) and Inch his first save for their efforts.
Roberto Gomez dominated the Threshers in the first three of his five-inning outing, permitting only two hits in that duration. The slim right-hander’s 15.2-inning scoreless streak was snapped in the fourth, though he was only responsible for three of the seven runs allowed during his appearance. Defensive errors by Jake Hager, Richie Shaffer, and Kes Carter were the causation of the other four. Gomez, as a result, would fall to 5-8 at the end of the night. Matt Ramsey surrendered the final three runs, all in the seventh inning.
The Stone Crabs look for their first win of the series on Sunday afternoon by sending Jesse Hahn to the mound against the Threshers’ bats. First pitch is scheduled for 1:00 p.m.
- Ryan Brett (2B): 2 for 4 with a walk and 2 RBIs
- Jake Hager (SS): 0 for 5
- Drew Vettleson (RF): 2 for 5
- Richie Shaffer (3B): 2 for 5 with a double and a run scored
- Alejandro Segovia (1B): 2 for 3 with 2 walks, a double and an RBI
- Curt Casali (C): 0 for 5
- Jeff Malm (1B): 1 for 3 with a walk, a double, and a run scored
- Willie Argo (LF): 0 for 3 with a run scored
- Kes Carter (CF): 0 for 3 with a walk and a run scored
- Roberto Gomez (L, 5-8): 7 runs (3 earned, 1 homerun) over 8 hits, 3 walks, and 3 strikeouts in 5 innings
- Matt Ramsey: 3 earned runs on 5 hits and 2 strikeouts in 3 innings