An enthusiastic effort from Charlotte’s offense was largely quelled by the end of Wednesday night’s game against the St. Lucie Mets. The Stone Crabs claimed an early lead, but were stumped thereafter by the Mets’ pitching staff. Charlotte’s own pitchers allowed nine runs in the course of the match, enough to lift the Mets to a win and the Stone Crabs to a loss, with a 9-4 final.
Charlotte struck Mets’ starter Hansel Robles with four runs in the first five innings. With two outs in the first, Alejandro Segovia and Jeff Malm snagged an RBI apiece with singles to right field. In the following inning, Kes Carter belted his fifth homerun of the season over the rightfield fence to add the third run to the scoreboard. The team’s final run arrived in the fifth as Segovia drove in his second RBI of the evening to round out his 2-for-4 night. Thereafter, St. Lucie’s bullpen halted further production, and right-hander Randy Fontanez would later gain the win (6-6).
Parker Markel handled the mound for the five and a third innings before his removal in the sixth inning due to shoulder soreness, the team later stated. Markel was tagged with his sixth loss of the year after yielding five runs (three earned) off seven hits.
In the sixth, Lenny Linsky took the ball from Markel, retiring the remaining batters but allowing a grand slam in the seventh to Dustin Lawley. Linsky hit succeeding hitter Kevin Plawecki in the head with a pitch, and was immediately ejected from the game. Shay Crawford followed and silenced the Mets, improving to a total of 14 and a third innings without giving up a run.
The Stone Crabs, now trailing the Palm Beach Cardinals by half a game in the FSL South, meet the Mets once again on Thursday night with a series win in their hopes. Game time is scheduled for 6:30 p.m., with Ryan Carpenter slated to start.
- Ryan Brett (2B): 1 for 5
- Jake Hager (SS): 2 for 5 with a run scored
- Drew Vettleson (RF): 2 for 4 with a run scored
- Richie Shaffer (DH): 1 for 3 with a walk and a run scored
- Alejandro Segovia (1B): 2 for 4 with 2 RBIs
- Jeff Malm (LF): 1 for 4 with an RBi
- Curt Casali (C): 0 for 4
- Kes Carter (CF): 2 for 4 with a solo homerun and a run scored
- Ben Kline (3B): 1 for 4
- Parker Markel (L, 6-4): 5 runs (3 earned) off 7 hits, a walk, and 3 strikeouts over 5.1 innings
- Lenny Linsky: 4 runs (grand slam) off 3 hits, 2 walks, and a strikeout over an inning
- Shay Crawford: 2.2 scoreless innings with 2 hits and a strikeout