Roberto Gomez exhibited dominance once again on the mound against the Bradenton Marauders in Monday night’s game at McKechnie Field. Gomez, fresh off a complete-game shutout tossed on July 3, baffled Marauder batters over six and two-thirds innings, exhibiting the control he has been seeking for a great portion of the season. The right-hander and the bullpen held the opposition scoreless and allowed the Stone Crabs a 1-0 victory.
Gomez has been steadily improving as the year extends. He put up a 4.57 ERA in the month of June, almost a point less than May’s overall ERA, and thus far in July has not surrendered a run in two outings. Gomez struck out five in Monday’s start, allowing only two hits and two walks to blemish his line. His record would improve to 5-7 and his ERA to 4.72 after the night’s victory.
Gomez was directly followed by Shay Crawford, who raised his own scoreless streak to 11 and two-thirds innings. Nate Garcia took over for Crawford in the eighth and, after a hit and a walk between one and a third innings, would earn his seventh save of the year.
The Stone Crabs offense faced Joely Rodriguez for the third time this year. Luke Bailey smacked a solo shot for his first homerun of the season in the third inning for the first and last run of the game. Rodriguez pitched well otherwise, but would fall to 0-3.
Charlotte, with a half-game lead over the Palm Beach Cardinals in the FSL South, returns home on Tuesday evening to welcome the St. Lucie Mets to town. First pitch is scheduled for 6:30 p.m.
- Ryan Brett (2B): 1 for 4 with a double
- Jake Hager (SS): 2 for 4
- Willie Argo (RF): 1 for 4
- Richie Shaffer (3B): 2 for 3 with a walk
- Alejandro Segovia (1B) 0 for 4
- Curt Casali (C): 0 for 4
- Jeff Malm (LF): 1 for 3
- Luke Bailey (DH): 1 for 3 with a solo homerun and a run scored
- Kes Carter (CF): 0 for 3
- Roberto Gomez (W, 5-7): no runs on 2 hits, 2 walks, and 5 strikeouts over 6.2 innings
- Shay Crawford: a scoreless inning with a hit, a walk, and 2 strikeouts
- Nate Garcia (S, 7): 1.1 scoreless innings with a hit, a walk, and 3 strikeouts