While much of Florida was getting absolutely drenched with heavy rains, the Stone Crabs were on the field at Roger Dean for a the first game of a doubleheader against the Jupiter Hammerheads. Alejandro Segovia delivered two homers and Drew Vettleson delivers three doubles to help lead the Stone Crabs to a 5-1 win.
The Stone Crabs got on the board first in the top of the first inning. Jake Hager drew a walk and then later scored on an RBI double by Drew Vettleson to give them a 1-0 lead.
Jupiter bounced back to tie the game in the bottom of the first. Alex Burg singled home Austin Nola to tie the game 1-1.
The Stone Crabs regained the lead on a solo homer by Alejandro Segovia in the top of the second to take a 2-1 lead.
The Stone Crabs added another run in the third inning. Willie Argo doubled to left to put a runner in scoring position. Vettleson then delivered his second RBI double of the night to increase the lead to 3-1.
The Stone Crabs got the long ball working again in the sixth inning. Segovia went deep for the second time on the night and Kes Cater had a solo homer to give the Stone Crabs a 5-1 lead.
Ryan Carpenter and Frank De Los Santos kept the Hammerheads off the board the remainder of the game as they cruised to a 5-1 win.
Carpenter picked up the win and improved to 7-5 on the season. Jose Hodges was the losing pitcher for Jupiter.
The teams will take a brief break before beginning the second game of the doubleheader, weather permitting. Felipe Rivero is scheduled to start against Justin Nicolino.
- Ryan Brett (2B): 0 for 2
- Jake Hager (SS): 0 for 3 with a walk and a run scored
- Drew Vettleson (RF): 3 for 4 with 3 doubles and 2 RBI’s
- Richie Shaffer (3B): 0 for 4
- Curt Casali (C): 2 for 4
- Alejandro Segovia (DH): 2 for 3 with 2 homers
- Jeff Malm (1B): 0 for 3
- Kes Carter (CF): 1 for 2 with a home run
- Willie Argo (LF): 1 for 2 with a double and a run scored
- Ryan Carpenter (Win, 7-5): 1 run on 4 hits with 2 strikeouts and a 2 walks in 5 innings
- Frank De Los Santos: 2 no-hit innings with a strikeout