The Stone Crabs were used three homers to lift them to a win over the Jupiter Hammerheads on Saturday night at Roger Dean Stadium. The power at the plate backed a dazzling performance by starter Parker Markel as the Stone Crabs cruised to a 4-1 win in the series opener.
Jupiter broke the scoreless tie in the third inning. Austin Nola delivered a sac fly to score Ross Wilson and give the Hammerheads a 1-0 lead.
The Stone Crabs used the long ball to grab the lead in the top of the fourth inning. Curt Casali and Jeff Malm each had a solo home run to give the Stone Crabs a 2-1 lead.
The Stone Crabs added some insurance in the top of the sixth. Alejandro went deep for his tenth homer of the season. Later in the inning, Ryan Brett doubled home Malm to increase the lead to 4-1.
That was all the support the Stone Crabs pitching staff needed as they held the 4-1 lead the remainder of the night. Markel only allowed 1 unearned run while striking out 10 hitters to record the victory. Eliazer Suero picked up the save.
The series continues on Sunday with Ryan Carpenter on the mound for the Stone Crabs opposite Josh Hodges for Jupiter.
- Ryan Brett (2B): 1 for 5 with a double and an RBI
- Jake Hager (SS): 0 for 5
- Willie Argo (RF): 1 for 4
- Richie Shaffer (3B): 0 for 4
- Curt Casali (DH): 1 for 3 with a home run
- Alejandro Segovia (1B): 2 for 4 with a home run
- Jeff Malm (LF): 3 for 4 with a home run
- Jake DePew (C): 2 for 4 with a double
- Kes Carter (CF): 0 for 4
- Parker Markel (Win, 4-4): 1 unearned run on 4 hits with 10 strikeouts and a walk in 6 1/3 innings
- Eliazer Suero (Save, 1): 2 2/3 no-hit innings with 3 strikeouts