A sizeable crowd gathered at Charlotte Sports Park on Wednesday evening for a game marked by the second rehab start of Tampa Bay Ray David Price. The left-hander did not disappoint through five innings against the Bradenton Marauders, and the Stone Crabs’ offense piggybacked off his success to plate three runs, enough for the win. Jim Patterson and Shay Crawford held Bradenton to a pair of runs, allowing the Stone Crabs a 3-2 victory in game one of the series.
David Price entered and exited the field to a boisterous ovation. As anticipated, Price put on a show for spectators, permitting no runs and only a hit apiece to Jose Osuna and Carlos Mesa whilst fanning out eight. Price would gain his first FSL win from the outing, making his record 1-0.
Jim Patterson took over for Price and worked through the end of the eighth inning for Charlotte, and only during his appearance did Bradenton score. Jose Osuna tripled home Willy Garcia for the first run, and was driven in thereafter by Jacob Stallings. Patterson handed the ball to Shay Crawford in the ninth. Crawford weaved his way out of a bases loaded, two-out jam with an Alen Hanson groundout to gain his first save of the season.
Offensively, the Stone Crabs scattered three runs over an equal amount of innings. Ryan Brett singled to lead off the Charlotte half of the first inning and soon scored on a throwing error by third baseman Eric Avila. In the third frame, Willie Argo began with a single and ended up at third after a stolen base and a wayward throw by Jose Osuna. Argo scored on a Ben Kline groundout. The Stone Crabs grabbed their final run in the sixth on a Richie Shaffer RBI single that brought home Jake Hager. Joely Rodriguez, Bradenton’s starter, was responsible for the loss (0-1).
Ryan Brett was removed from the game in the top of the third inning after suffering neck stiffness. He was replaced by Ben Kline, and no further word as to his condition has been released yet.
The Stone Crabs meet the Marauders once again on Thursday evening. Brandon Gomes is scheduled for a rehab inning, followed by Jesse Hahn, against Bradenton’s Robby Rowland. First pitch will be at 6:30.
- Ryan Brett (2B; removed in 3rd): 1 for 1 with a single and a run scored.
- Ben Kline (2B): 0 for 3
- Jake Hager (SS): 2 for 4 with a double and a run scored
- Drew Vettleson (RF): 1 for 4
- Richie Shaffer (3B): 1 for 4 with an RBI single
- Curt Casali (C): 0 for 4
- Alejandro Segovia (DH): 0 for 2 with a walk
- Jeff Malm (1B): 1 for 3 with a double
- Kes Carter (CF): 0 for 3
- Willie Argo (LF): 1 for 2 with a walk and a run scored
- David Price (W, 1-0): 5 scoreless innings with 2 hits, a walk, and 8 strikeouts
- Jim Patterson: 2 runs off three hits and 4 strikeouts in 3 innings
- Shay Crawford (S, 1): 1 scoreless inning with 2 walks and a strikeout