The Stone Crabs dropped the series against the Bradenton Marauders by losing the series finale 5-3 on Saturday night at McKechnie Field. The Stone Crabs watched an early lead dissolve as they have now lost 5 of their last six games following the all-star break.
The Stone Crabs broke the scoreless tie by scoring twice in the second inning. Richie Shaffer drew a walk and Curt Casali singled to put two runners on the bases. Luke Bailey then delivered a two run double to left to give the Stone Crabs a 2-0 lead.
The Stone Crabs added to their lead in the top of the fourth. Shaffer doubled to center to lead off the inning. He would later score on an RBI single by Willie Argo to increase the lead to 3-0.
But that was it on the night for the Stone Crabs offense. The rest of the game, the Marauders offense would lead the way. They started by getting on the scoreboard in the bottom of the fourth. Jose Osuna had an RBI single and Carlos Mesa had an RBI double to pull them within a run of the lead.
Bradenton’s momentum continued into the fifth inning. Dan Gamache singled home a run and Stetson Allie had a sac fly to give them the lead 4-3.
The Marauders added an insurance run on a solo home run by Willy Garcia in the eighth to hand the Stone Crabs the 5-3 loss.
Felipe Rivero was charged with the loss for the Stone Crabs. Orlando Castro was the winner for Bradenton and Robert Kilcrease notched the save.
The Stone Crabs return home to Charlotte Sports Park for a three game series against the Jupiter Hammerheads starting on Sunday. Parker Markel is scheduled to pitch for the Stone Crabs.
- Taylor Motter (SS): 0 for 1
- Jake Hager (SS): 0 for 2
- Kes Carter (CF): 0 for 4
- Drew Vettleson (RF): 1 for 4
- Richie Shaffer (3B): 1 for 4 with a double, walk and 2 runs scored
- Willie Argo (LF): 2 for 4 with an RBI
- Curt Casali (DH): 2 for 4 with a run scored
- Alejandro Segovia (1B): 0 for 4
- Luke Bailey (C): 1 for 4 with a double and 2 RBI’s
- Ben Kline (2B): 2 for 4
- Felipe Rivero (Loss, 5-4): 4 runs on 6 hits with 4 strikeouts and 5 walks in 4 1/3 innings
- Jim Patterson: 1 run on 3 hits with 4 strikeouts in 3 innings
- Andrew Bellatti: 2/3 no-hit inning with a strikeout and a walk