Three runs in the Stone Crabs half of the sixth inning granted the team enough insurance to pull them to a win on Sunday night against the Jupiter Hammerheads. The Stone Crabs offense hit Jupiter’s pitching well, with everyone in the lineup managing at least one hit. The bullpen later proved untouchable as Lenny Linsky and Jake Partridge held a one-run lead through the final four innings. The Stone Crabs grabbed the victory 5-4 to take the first game of the series.
Alejandro Segovia served as the run sparkplug throughout the game. Segovia grounded into a double play in the second that brought Richie Shaffer home, though he was not granted an RBI. Two innings later, Segovia smacked his first homerun since May 16 off Jupiter starter Jake Esch, his eighth on the year. Segovia wasn’t quite done yet: he singled off reliever Joe O’Gara to score Shaffer once again in the sixth for his second RBI. The right-hander finished the evening 2-for-4.
Also in the deciding sixth inning, Jeff Malm doubled to plate Segovia, and Ben Kline singled, an error by Ross Wilson allowing Malm to come home. O’Gara surrendered the trio of runs and took his first loss of the season (0-1).
The Jupiter Hammerheads managed four runs off Stone Crabs starter Roberto Gomez. Lenny Linsky took the ball after Gomez’s departure in the sixth. Linsky and his successor Jake Partridge combined for a scoreless, hitless four innings, allowing between them only three walks. Linsky grasped the win (2-5) and Partridge, the reigning Claw Digest Pitcher of the Week, a three-inning save (2).
The Stone Crabs face off against the Jupiter Hammerheads once again Monday evening, with the first pitch scheduled for 6:30. Parker Markel will be on the mound against Hammerhead lefty Andrew Heaney. Rehabbing Tampa Bay Ray reliever Brandon Gomes will potentially make a relief appearance in tomorrow’s game.
- Kes Carter (CF): 1 for 3 with a walk
- Jake Hager (SS): 1 for 4
- Drew Vettleson (RF): 1 for 4
- Richie Shaffer (3B): 1 for 3 with a double, a walk, and 2 runs scored
- Curt Casali (C): 1 for 3
- Alejandro Segovia (DH): 2 for 4 with a homerun, 2 RBIs, and 2 runs scored
- Jeff Malm (1B): 1 for 4 with an RBI double and a run scored
- Ben Kline (2B): 1 for 3
- Willie Argo (LF): 1 for 3
- Roberto Gomez: 4 earned runs off 8 hits, 2 walks, and 2 strikeouts over 5 innings
- Lenny Linsky (W, 2-5): 1 scoreless, hitless inning with 1 walk
- Jake Partridge (S, 2): 3 scoreless, hitless innings with 2 walks and 2 strikeouts