Despite having Cy Young winner David Price on the mound, the Stone Crabs were unable to get a victory in the first game of Friday’s doubleheader against Bradenton. They gave up a late lead as they fell 4-3 in the first game at McKechnie Field.
Price started for the Stone Crabs on the first of two scheduled MLB rehab appearances. Price has been on the Rays disabled list since mid-May with a triceps strain.
The Marauders struck first on the night by scoring in the second inning. Jose Osuna led off the inning with a single to left. He would later score on a throwing error to give the Marauders a 1-0 lead.
The Stone Crabs clawed back to take their first lead of the night in the third inning. Taylor Motter drove home Luke Bailey with an RBI single to tie the game. Then Drew Vettleson and Richie Shaffer each picked up an RBI to give the Stone Crabs a 3-1 lead.
But the Marauders pulled within a run of the lead in the bottom of the third. Stetson Allie doubled home a run to bring the score to 3-2.
The Marauders continued their comeback in the fifth inning when Dan Gamache drove home a run to tie the game.
With the game tied, the skies opened and play was halted due to heavy rain. The rain delay would last for just under two hours.
The delay didn’t stop the Marauders momentum as they scored the go-ahead run in the bottom of the sixth inning to hand the Stone Crabs the loss in game one of the doubleheader.
Nate Garcia was on the hook for the Stone Crabs loss. Joan Montero was the winning pitcher for Bradenton.
- Taylor Motter (SS): 1 for 3 with an RBI and a run scored
- Kes Carter (CF): scored a run
- Drew Vettleson (RF): 1 for 3 with an RBI
- Richie Shaffer (3B): 1 for 2 with an RBI
- Jeff Malm (1B): 0 for 3
- Hector Guevara (2B): 1 for 3
- Jake DePew (C): 0 for 3
- Luke Bailey (DH): 0 for 2 with a walk and a run scored
- Willie Argo (LF): 1 for 3
- David Price: 2 runs, 1 earned on 2 hits with 4 strikeouts and 2 walks in 2 1/3 innings
- Eliazer Suero: 1 run on 3 hits with 2 strikeouts in 2 innings
- Andrew Bellatti: 2/3 scoreless innings with a strikeout
- Nate Garcia (Loss, 1-2): 1 run on 3 hits in an inning pitched