The FSL South division broke out the offense against the North on Saturday night’s All-Star Game in Dunedin. The South hammered the North in the fifth inning, plating five hitters, including Richie Shaffer and Curt Casali from the Stone Crabs. With the help of Ryan Carpenter and eight other solid pitchers, the South leapt to an 8-1 victory.
The All-Star Game was preceded by the vivid Home Run Derby in which eight hitters tested their power. Nick Ramirez of the Brevard County Manatees slapped the most out of the park, totaling 13 in the final round to outslug Daytona’s Javier Baez and Clearwater’s Maikel Franco.
After the Derby, the All-Stars took the field. Richie Shaffer was granted a start in the night’s match-up and hit ninth. The third baseman finished 1 for 2 with a sacrifice fly in the big fifth that brought home St. Lucie’s Dustin Lawley. Shaffer also earned a walk in one of his at-bats and played the entire game at third.
Before Shaffer’s RBI in the same inning, Curt Casali had singled to right field for his first and only hit of the game. He soon followed Palm Beach Cardinal Jonathan Rodriguez home after a three-run homerun by Bradenton’s Alen Hanson cleared the bases and raised the run total to five for the inning. David Goforth was responsible for the entire rally, and thus took the loss for the North.
A run in the seventh and a pair in the eighth rounded the South’s total to the final eight. Jupiter Hammerhead Isaac Galloway and Cardinals Stephen Piscotty and Rodriguez all contributed RBIs in these two innings.
The South surrendered a single run to the North in the third inning. A wild pitch by Jupiter Hammerhead left-hander Justin Nicolino send Tampa Yankee Gary Sanchez to third and set the stage for Daytona’s John Andreoli to ground into the force that scored Sanchez. Noah Syndergaard of the St. Lucie Mets replaced Nicolino and would eventually gain the win.
Stone Crabs representative Ryan Carpenter took the ball in the sixth and shut down the North bats for an inning. The lefty allowed merely a double to Clearwater’s Carlos Alonso and struck out one. He and the three pitchers succeeding him combined for four scoreless innings, lifting the South to the win.
The All-Stars look forward to one final day of relaxation before play resumes on Monday. The Stone Crabs head to St. Lucie for a 6:30 game against the Mets.
FSL South Hitters
- Alen Hanson (Bradenton): 1 for 5 with a three-run homerun
- T.J. Rivera (St. Lucie): 0 for 5
- Isaac Galloway (Jupiter): 1 for 5 with an RBI
- Kennys Vargas (Fort Myers): 1 for 3
- Ryan Rieger (Jupiter – PH): 0 for 2
- Stephen Piscotty (Palm Beach): 1 for 5 with a solo homerun
- Dustin Lawley (St. Lucie): 3 for 4 with 2 runs scored
- Jonathan Rodriguez (Palm Beach): 1 for 3 with a two-run homerun
- Matt Koch (Fort Myers): 0 for 1
- Austin Barnes (Jupiter): 0 for 0
- Curt Casali (Charlotte – PH): 1 for 3 with a run scored
- Richie Shaffer (Charlotte): 1 for 2 with a sac fly
FSL South Pitchers
- Taylor Rogers (Fort Myers): 1 scoreless, hitless inning
- Anthony DeSclafani (Jupiter): a hit over 1 inning
- Justin Nicolino (Jupiter): an earned run and a hit over 1 inning
- Noah Syndergaard (St. Lucie – W): 1 hit over 1 inning
- Ronnie Shaban (Palm Beach): 1 scoreless, hitless inning
- Ryan Carpenter (Charlotte): a hit, a walk, and a strikeout over 1 inning
- Corey Williams (Fort Myers): 1 scoreless, hitless inning
- Zach Jones (Fort Myers): 1scoreless, hitless inning
- Nick Wittgren (Jupiter): 1 scoreless, hitless inning
FSL North Hitters
- John Andreoli (Daytona): 0 for 4 with an RBI
- Carlos Alonso (Clearwater): 1 for 4 with a double
- Andy Burns (Dunedin): 0 for 2
- Maikel Franco (Clearwater ) 0 for 2
- Dustin Geiger (Daytona): 0 for 3
- Javier Baez (Daytona): 2 for 4 with a pair of doubles
- Aaron Altherr (Clearwater): 0 for 4
- Jorge Soler (Daytona): 0 for 0
- Jeff McVaney (Lakeland): 0 for 4
- Gary Sanchez (Tampa): 1 for 1 with a double and a run scored
- Cameron Garfield (Brevard County): 0 for 1
- Logan Moore (Clearwater): 0 for 1
- Nick Ramirez (Brevard County): 0 for 3
FSL North Pitchers
- Kyle Ryan (Lakeland): 1 scoreless, hitless inning
- Casey Lawrence (Dunedin): 1 scoreless, hitless inning
- Shane Greene (Tampa): 1 hit over 1 inning
- Scott Copeland (Dunedin): 1 scoreless, hitless inning
- David Goforth (Brevard County – L): 5 earned runs (3 HR) off 4 hits in 1 inning
- Tony Davis (Dunedin): 2 hits over 1 inning
- Frank Del Valle (Daytona): an earned run and a hit over 1 inning
- Ryan O’Sullivan (Clearwater): 2 hits and 2 earned runs over 1 inning
- Black McFarland (Dunedin): a scoreless, hitless one-third of an inning
- Melvin Mercedes (Lakeland): a scoreless, hitless two-thirds of an inning