The Stone Crabs could not avoid another late fall despite a strong performance by starter Jesse Hahn and an early lead against the Palm Beach Cardinals on Saturday evening. The Cardinals booked a four-run eighth and, in the end, strode to a 6-2 victory.
Palm Beach scored first in the opening inning on a Richie Shaffer error at third that later allowed Stephen Piscotty to score. Earlier, Jake Hager was removed from the game after, according to Sun Coast Sports, he displaced his shoulder while attempting a sliding stop on an Alex Mejia ground ball.
Jesse Hahn and relievers Eliazer Suero and Jordan Harrison combined for 7 innings and tallied only the one unearned run during Hahn’s outing. Lenny Linsky took the mound after Harrison in the eighth inning, and Palm Beach responded with a big rally. The winning run came as David Popkins doubled home Jonathan Rodriguez, and the Cardinals grabbed more insurance via Danny Stienstra and Juan Castillo RBIs. Subsequently, Linsky took the loss (1-3).
The Stone Crabs’ only runs arrived in the first inning. Richie Shaffer and Drew Vettleson accounted for the pair of RBIs wrought on a sacrifice fly and an error by starter Corey Baker. Relievers Jacob Booden and Danny Miranda denied the Stone Crabs any additional production. Booden received the win (1-0) and Miranda his first save of the season.
The Stone Crabs eye a series split at Charlotte Sports Park on Sunday evening. The first pitch is scheduled for 5:30 p.m.
- Ryan Brett (2B): 2 for 4 with a run scored
- Willie Argo (LF): 0 for 2 with 2 walks and a run scored
- Jake Hager: Removed from game in the first inning; 0 for 0
- Kes Carter (CF): 2 for 3 with a walk
- Richie Shaffer (3B): 0 for 3 with an RBI sacrifice fly
- Drew Vettleson (RF): 0 for 4 with an RBI via error
- Hector Guevara (DH): 0 for 4
- Jeff Malm (1B): 1 for 4
- Jake DePew (C): 1 for 4
- Taylor Motter (LF-SS): 0 for 3, 11-game hit streak snapped
- Jesse Hahn: 1 unearned run, 2 hits, a walk, and 4 strikeouts over 4 innings
- Eliazer Suero: 1 hit and 2 strikeouts over 2 scoreless innings
- Jordan Harrison: 2 walks and a strikeout over a hitless, scoreless inning
- Lenny Linsky (L, 1-3): 5 hits, 4 runs (3 earned) and a strikeout over 1 inning
- Chris Kirsch: 3 hits, 1 earned run, a walk, and a strikeout over 1 inning.