The Stone Crabs picked up a win on a soggy Wednesday night at Florida Auto Exchange Stadium. After giving up an early lead, the Stone Crabs battled back to win the game 7-4.
Dunedin jumped out to an early lead in the first inning. Andy Burns homered to right to give them a 1-0 lead.
With bad weather closing in, the Stone Crabs wasted no time in tying the game. Willie Argo singled to left to lead off the frame. He stole second and then scored on a sac fly by Hector Guevara to tie the game.
The Stone Crabs took the lead in the third inning. Ryan Brett scored on an error. Drew Vettleson drove home Jake Hager with an RBI double to center. Then Guevara picked up his second RBI of the night with a double to score Vettleson and give the Stone Crabs a 4-1 lead.
The Blue Jays cut the lead in half by scoring in the bottom of the third. KC Hobson doubled home Burns to bring the score to 4-2.
The Stone Crabs posted two more runs to the scoreboard in the fifth. Hager doubled to center to lead off the inning. Kes Carter followed with a single to advance Hager to third. Hager scored Argo for the first run of the inning. Cater later scored on a sac fly by Jeff Malm to give the Stone Crabs a 6-2 lead.
Dunedin cut the lead in half yet again in the bottom the eighth. They loaded the bases and then pushed a run home on a sac fly by Nick Baligod. But Lenny Linsky closed the door to hold the lead 6-3 going into the ninth.
The Stone Crabs picked up an insurance run by scoring in the top of the ninth. Taylor Motter singled to right to lead off the inning. He stole second and third and later scored on an RBI single by Kes Carter to give the Stone Crabs the 7-3 lead.
The Blue Jays tried to mount another rally in the ninth, but were held to just one additional run as the Stone Crabs went on to win 7-4.
Ryan Carpenter was the winner for the Stone Crabs.
The series concludes, weather permitting, on Thursday night at Florida Auto Exchange Stadium. Parker Markel is scheduled to pitch the finale for the Stone Crabs.
- Ryan Brett (2B): 1 for 5 with a run scored
- Jake Hager (SS): 2 for 4 with a double and 2 runs scored
- Kes Carter (CF): 2 for 5 with 2 RBI’s and a run scored
- Willie Argo (DH): 2 for 5 with an RBI and a run scored
- Drew Vettleson (RF): 2 for 4 with a double, RBI and a run scored
- Hector Guevara (3B): 1 for 3 with a double with 2 RBI’s
- Jeff Malm (1B): 1 for 3 with an RBI
- Jake DePew (C): 0 for 3 with a walk
- Taylor Motter (LF): 1 for 4 with a run scored
- Ryan Carpenter (Win, 5-3): 2 runs on 6 hits with 7 strikeouts and 2 walks in 5 2/3 innings
- Chris Kirsch (Hold, 1): 1 1/3 scoreless innings with a hit and a walk
- Lenny Linsky: 1 run on 3 hits with a strikeout and a walk in 2 innings