The Stone Crabs won their third straight game after a 3-1 win over the Palm Beach Cardinals on Wednesday night at Roger Dean Stadium. For the second straight night, strong pitching led the Stone Crabs to victory as starter Ryan Carpenter tossed six shut-out innings.
The Stone Crabs broke the scoreless tie in the top of the fifth inning. Kes Carter drove home Taylor Motter with an RBI triple to give the Stone Crabs a 1-0 lead.
The Stone Crabs added another run to their tally in the sixth inning. Drew Vettleson tripled to right and later scored on an RBI single by Richie Shaffer to increase the lead to 2-0.
Palm Beach cut the lead in half by scoring in the bottom of the eighth inning. Colin Walks doubled to left and then scored on an RBI double by Jonathan Rodriguez.
The Stone Crabs picked up an insurance run in the top of the eighth. Shaffer double to left to lead off the inning. Willie Argo drove Shaffer home with a single to right to give the Stone Crabs the 3-1 victory.
Carpenter picked up the win and Nate Garcia got the save for the Stone Crabs. Kurt Heyer was the losing pitcher for Palm Beach.
The Stone Crabs go for the sweep in the series finale on Thursday at Roger Dean Stadium. Parker Markel will be on the hill for the Stone Crabs.
- Kes Carter (DH): 3 for 4 with a triple and an RBI
- Jake Hager (SS): 0 for 4
- Drew Vettleson (RF): 1 for 4 with a triple and a run scored
- Richie Shaffer (3B): 3 for 4 with a double, RBI and a run scored
- Hector Guevara (2B): 0 for 3 with a walk
- Willie Argo (CF): 1 for 4 with an RBI
- Jeff Malm (1B): 1 for 3 with a walk
- Luke Bailey (C): 0 for 4
- Taylor Motter (LF): 1 for 3 with a run scored
- Ryan Carpenter (Win, 4-3): 6 scoreless innings with 2 hits, 4 walks and 2 strikeouts
- Jake Partridge (Hold, 4): 1 run on 2 hits with a strikeout and a walk in 2 innings
- Nate Garcia (Save, 2): 1 no-hit inning with a strikeout and a walk