The Stone Crabs defeated the Fort Myers Miracle 4-2 in the series finale on Sunday to avoid the sweep. But the win didn’t come easy as the Miracle put the winning run on the bases in the ninth, but hard work and determination by the Stone Crabs defense sent them back to Port Charlotte with a win.
The Stone Crabs wasted no time taking the lead by scoring in the first inning. Ryan Brett and Kes Carter opened the game with back to back singles. Brett later scored on a sac fly by Drew Vettleson to give the Stone Crabs a 1-0 lead.
The Stone Crabs extended their lead by scoring two more runs in the third inning. Taylor Motter singled followed by a double by Brett to put runners in scoring position for the Stone Crabs. Motter scored on an error and Brett came home on an RBI single by Vettleson to increase the lead to 3-0.
Fort Myers got on the board in the fifth inning via a solo homer by Jonathan Murphy.
The Stone Crabs went deep in the top of the eighth as Motter struck his first FSL homer, a solo shot to left to give the Stone Crabs a 4-1 lead.
The Miracle scored again in the bottom of the eighth. Stephen Wickens doubled to left and later scored on a sac fly by Eddie Rosario to cut the lead in half 4-2.
Things got scary for the Stone Crabs in the bottom of the ninth as the Miracle loaded the bases, but the defense rallied behind reliever Nate Garcia to close the game.
Jake Floethe improved to 4-3 with the win and Garcia notched his second save of the season. Tom Stuifbergen was the losing pitcher for the Miracle.
The Stone Crabs are off on Monday for Memorial Day before beginning a three game series on the road against the Palm Beach Cardinals on Tuesday.
- Ryan Brett (2B): 2 for 4 with a double, 2 runs scored
- Kes Carter (CF): 1 for 4
- Drew Vettleson (DH): 1 for 3 with 2 RBI’s
- Richie Shaffer (3B): 0 for 4
- Hector Guevara (SS): 0 for 4
- Jeff Malm (1B): 0 for 3
- Willie Argo (RF): 0 for 3
- Luke Bailey (C): 0 for 3
- Taylor Motter (LF): 2 for 3 with a home run and 2 runs scored
- Jesse Hahn: 4 scoreless innings with 3 strikeouts and a walk
- Jake Floethe (Win, 4-3): 2 runs on 4 hits with a walk and 3 strikeouts in 4 innings
- Nate Garcia (Save, 2): 1 scoreless inning with 3 hits