Despite outhitting their opponent, a wild pitch would be the game changer as the Stone Crabs fell to the Clearwater Threshers 3-2 on Wednesday night at Charlotte Sports Park.
The Stone Crabs were first on the scoreboard by scoring in the opening frame. Kes Carter doubled to lead off the inning. He would later score on a ground ball by Drew Vettleson to give them a 1-0 lead.
The Threshers answered with a two run third inning. Carlos Alonso and Aaron Altherr each drove home a run to give the Threshers a 2-1 lead.
The Stone Crabs didn’t trail long as they tied the game in the bottom of the third. Once again it was Vettleson driving home carter Carter to tie the game 2-2.
Clearwater regained the lead in the top of the fifth. Shawn Roof tripled to open the inning and scored on a wild pitch to give them a 3-2 lead.
Both clubs were held in check for the remainder of the game as the Stone Crabs fell 3-2.
Roberto Gomez was charged with the loss. Perci Garner was the winning pitcher for Clearwater and Colton Murray notched the save.
The series concludes on Thursday at Charlotte Sports Park. Ryan Carpenter will be on the hill for the Stone Crabs in the finale.
- Kes Carter (CF): 2 for 4 with a double and 2 runs scored
- Jake Hager (SS): 3 for 4 with a double
- Drew Vettleson (RF): 0 for 4 with 2 RBI’s
- Richie Shaffer (3B): 1 for 4
- Hector Guevara (2B): 0 for 4
- Alejandro Segovia (DH): 1 for 4 with a double
- Willie Argo (PR-DH): pinch ran for Segovia in the 9th
- Jeff Malm (1B): 2 for 4
- Jake DePew (C): 0 for 4
- Taylor Motter (LF): 0 for 2 with 2 walks
- Roberto Gomez (Loss, 2-6): 3 runs on 6 hits with a strikeout
- Lenny Linsky: 2 scoreless innings with 2 hits and 2 walks