The Stone Crabs took game one of Tuesday’s doubleheader by defeating the Clearwater Thresher 4-2 at Charlotte Sports Park.
Both clubs dueled through a scoreless game until the bottom of the fourth when the Stone Crabs struck for two runs. Jake Hager singled to center followed by a ground rule double by Drew Vettleson to put two runners in scoring position. Hector Guevara drove both runners home with an RBI single to center that gave the Stone Crabs a 2-0 lead.
The Threshers tied the game in the top of the sixth inning. Jonathan Roof had a solo home run and Maikel Franco struck an RBI double to tie the game 2-2.
But the tied did not last long as the Stone Crabs answered in the home half of the sixth. Willie Argo doubled home Alejandro Segovia and Guevara to give the Stone Crabs a 4-2 lead.
The 4-2 lead held through the remainder of the game, giving the Stone Crabs a win in the shortened 7-innning contest.
Eliazer Suero was the winner and Nate Garcia notched the save. Gabriel Arias was the loser for Clearwater.
- Ryan Brett (2B): 0 for 3
- Jake Hager (SS): 1 for 3 with a run scored
- Drew Vettleson (RF): 1 for 3 with a double and a run scored
- Alejandro Segovia (1B): 1 for 3 with a run scored
- Hector Guevara (3B): 2 for 3 with a double, 2 RBI’s and a run scored
- Willie Argo (DH): 1 for 3 with a double and 2 RBI’s
- Kes Carter (CF): 1 for 3
- Jake DePew (C): 1 for 2
- Taylor Motter (LF): 1 for 2
- Jesse Hahn: 4 scoreless innings with 4 strikeouts and 4 hits
- Eliazer Suero (Win, 1-1): 2 runs on 3 hits with a strikeout in 2 innings
- Nate Garcia (Save, 1): 1 no-hit inning with 2 strikeouts