The Stone Crabs are guaranteed a series win following a 7-1 win in Wednesday’s matinee against the Daytona Cubs at Jackie Robinson Ballpark. The Stone Crabs offense strung together 15 hits including three extra base hits to guide them to their fifth straight win.
The Stone Crabs jumped out to a three run lead in the second inning. Hector Guevara led off the inning with a single to left. Jake DePew then drew a walk to put runners at first and second. Taylor Motter broke the scoreless tie with an RBI double to score Guevara. Willie Argo then drew a walk to but another runner on the bases. Jake Hager then drove a two run double to left to score DePew and Motter to give the Stone Crabs a 3-0 lead.
The Stone Crabs picked up three more runs in the fourth inning. Motter drew a walk to get things started. Motter advanced to second on a balk and then stole third. Willie Argo drove home Motter with a single to center. Argo then scored on a triple by Drew Vettleson. Vettleson would later score on an RBI double by Alejandro Segovia to increase the lead to 6-0.
The Cubs scored their only run of the afternoon in the bottom of the fourth inning. Zeke DeVoss reached on error and later scored on a ground out by Jorge Soler.
The Stone Crabs pushed across their final run of the day in the top of the ninth. DePew and Motter drew walks followed by a single by Hager to load the bases. Richie Shaffer hit a bases loaded single to score DePew giving the Stone Crabs the 7-1 win.
Jake Floethe was the winning pitcher for the Stone Crabs to even his season record at 3-3. Austin Kirk was the loser for Daytona.
The Stone Crabs seek a series sweep in the finale on Thursday. Roberto Gomez will be on the mound for the Stone Crabs against PJ Francescon for Daytona.
- Willie Argo (CF): 2 for 4 with an RBI and a run scored
- Jake Hager (SS): 2 for 5 with 2 RBI’s
- Drew Vettleson (RF): 3 for 6 with a triple, RBI and a run scored
- Richie Shaffer (3B): 1 for 5 with an RBI
- Alejandro Segovia (DH): 3 for 6 with a double and an RBI
- Hector Guevara (2B): 2 for 5 with a run scored
- Steven Tinoco (1B): 0 for 5
- Jake DePew (C): 0 for 3 with 2 walks and 2 runs scored
- Taylor Motter (LF): 2 for 3 with a double, 2 walks, an RBI and 2 runs scored
- Jesse Hahn: 1 unearned run in 2 hits with 4 strikeouts in 4 innings
- Jake Floethe (Win, 3-3): 5 scoreless innings with 3 hits, 6 strikeouts and a walk