The Stone Crabs extended their current winning streak to four games following a 4-2 win over the Daytona Cubs on Tuesday at Jackie Robinson Ballpark.
Both starters went head to head in a scoreless pitchers duel through the first four innings. But the Cubs broke the scoreless tie in the bottom of the fifth inning. Chad Noble singled home John Andreoli to give them a 1-0 lead.
The Stone Crabs answered by scoring in the top of the sixth inning. Hector Guevara delivered a two-run single to score Richie Shaffer and Alejandro Segovia to give the Stone Crabs a 2-1 lead.
The Cubs battled back to tie the game in the bottom of the sixth. Zeke DeVoss scored on a sac fly by Jorge Soler to tie the game 2-2.
The game wouldn’t stay tied long as the Stone Crabs regained the lead in the seventh inning. Willie Argo singled to center followed by a walk to Kes Carter to put runners on the bases. Argo scored the go ahead run on a sac bunt by Vettleson. Shaffer drove home an insurance run with an RBI single to center to score Carter and give the Stone Crabs a 4-2 lead.
Lenny Linsky came on in relief of starter Felipe Rivero in the ninth, tossing two no-hit innings to secure the victory for the Stone Crabs.
Rivero was the winner and Linsky notched the save. Eduardo Figueroa was the losing pitcher for Daytona.
The series continues on Wednesday night at Jackie Robinson Ballpark. Jesse Hahn will start for the Stone Crabs against Austin Kirk for Daytona.
- Kes Carter (CF): 1 for 4 with a run scored
- Jake Hager (SS): 0 for 4 with a walk
- Drew Vettleson (RF): 2 for 4
- Richie Shaffer (3B): 3 for 5 with a double, RBI and a run scored
- Jeff Malm (DH): 0 for 4
- Alejandro Segovia (1B): 3 for 4 with 2 doubles and a run scored
- Hector Guevara (2B): 1 for 4 with 2 RBI’s
- Jake DePew (C): 0 for 2 with 2 walks
- Willie Argo (LF): 1 for 3 with a run scored
- Felipe Rivero (Win, 2-3): 2 runs on 4 hits with 7 strikeouts and 1 walk in 7 innings
- Lenny Linsky (Save, 3): 2 no-hit innings with 2 strikeouts