The Stone Crabs losing streak has come to an end following a 5-3 win over the Brevard County Manatees on Tuesday night at Space Coast Stadium. Parker Markel turned in his best start of the season, holding a perfect game through the first five frames enroute to his first win of the season.
The Stone Crabs jumped out to an early lead in the first inning. Kes Carter opened the game with a triple to right. He later scored on a sac fly by Jake Hager to give them a 1-0 lead.
They added to their lead in the third inning. Hager drew a walk to put a runner on the bases with two out. Richie Shaffer then singled followed by a walk to Alejandro Segovia to load the bases. Jeff Malm plated two runs with a double to right to increase the lead to 3-0.
The Stone Crabs struck for a pair of runs in the sixth inning. Steven Tinoco was hit by a pitch to lead off the inning. He stole second and later scored on an RBI double by Willie Argo. Argo would later score on a single by Carter to give the Stone Crabs a 5-0 lead.
Markel held a perfect game until the sixth inning when he gave up a double to Lance Roenicke. He would lose both the perfect game and the shut-out in the inning as the Manatees struck for three runs in the inning.
Neither clubs scored the remainder of the game as the Stone Crabs won and snapped the eleven game losing streak.
Markel was the winner and Austin Hubbard notched the save.
The Stone Crabs seek a series split in the finale on Wednesday afternoon. Felipe Rivero will start the finale for the Stone Crabs.
- Kes Carter (CF): 2 for 5 with a triple, RBI and a run scored
- Taylor Motter (2B): 0 for 4
- Jake Hager (SS): 0 for 3 with an RBI, walk and a run scored
- Richie Shaffer (3B): 2 for 5 with a run scored
- Alejandro Segovia (DH): 0 for 3 with a walk
- Jeff Malm (1B): 1 for 3 with a double, walk and 2 RBI’s
- Curt Casali (C): 0 for 4
- Steven Tinoco (RF): 1 for 3 with a run scored
- Willie Argo (LF): 2 for 3 with a double, RBI and a run scored
- Parker Markel (Win, 1-4): 3 runs on 3 hits with 5 strikeouts and 1 walk in 6 innings
- Shay Crawford (Hold, 2): 1 hit with 1 strikeout and 1 walk in 2/3 inning
- Austin Hubbard (Save, 3): 2 1/3 no-hit innings with 5 strikeouts and a walk