One streak ends but another continues as the Stone Crabs fall to the Jupiter Hammerheads 7-4 on Friday night at Charlotte Sports Park. The Stone Crabs were finally able to end their hitless streak with bases loaded but the loss extended the current losing streak to a franchise high eight games.
The Stone Crabs took an early lead in the third inning. Drew Vettleson singled home Jake Hager to give the Stone Crabs a 1-0 lead.
Jupiter answered with two runs in the top of the fourth. Austin Nola drove home two runs with an RBI single to give the Hammerheads a 2-1 lead.
But the lead didn’t last long as the Stone Crabs clawed back to tie the game in the bottom of the fourth. Curt Casali delivered a solo homer, his first of the season to tie the game 2-2.
Jupiter regained the lead in the next inning by scoring two runs without recording a hit in the inning. They took advantage of two hit batters, a walk and a wild pitch by reliever Eliazer Suero to regain the lead 4-2.
However the Stone Crabs offense still had a little fight left in them as they tied the game once again in the bottom of the fifth. Richie Shaffer doubled home Jake Hager and Drew Vettleson to tie the game 4-4. Shaffer’s double also served to break the hitless streak for the Stone Crabs in bases loaded situations.
But from there the Stone Crabs offense went quiet, giving up three unanswered runs in the final three frames to lose 7-4.
Lenny Linsky was charged with the loss and fell to 0-1 on the season. Kevin Cravey picked up the win and Nick Wittgren the save for Jupiter.
The Stone Crabs send Jesse Hahn to the mound in the series finale as the Stone Crabs try to avoid their third straight series sweep.
- Jake Hager (SS): 3 for 5 with a run scored
- Drew Vettleson (RF): 2 for 4 with an RBI and a run scored
- Alejandro Segovia (1B): 1 for 4
- Brett Nommensen (LF): 0 for 3 with a walk
- Richie Shaffer (3B): 1 for 3 with a double and 2 RBI’s
- Curt Casali (C): 1 for 4 with a solo home run
- Hector Guevara (2B): 1 for 4
- Steven Tinoco (DH): 0 for 4
- Taylor Motter (CF): 1 for 2 with a walk and a run scored
- Felipe Rivero: 2 runs on 6 hits with 4 strikeouts and 2 walks in 4 innings
- Eliazer Suero: 2 unearned runs on a walk with 2 hit batters in 1 inning
- Lenny Linsky (Loss, 0-1): 1 run on 1 walk and 3 strikeouts in 2 innings
- Austin Hubbard: 2 runs on 3 hits with a strikeout and a walk in 2 innings