For the second straight night, the Stone Crabs were outmatched by the Lakeland offense as they fell to the Flying Tigers 12-3 on Monday night at Charlotte Sports Park.
Lakeland wasted no time in taking an early lead, scoring three runs in the first inning. Aaron Westlake doubled in a run with Jeff McVaney and Mike Hernandez also picking up an RBI to give the Flying Tigers a 3-0 lead.
The Stone Crabs also got a run in the first inning. Jake Hager singled to lead off the inning. He later scored on a ground ball by Drew Vettleson to pull within two runs of the lead 3-1.
Lakeland added another run to their tally in the third inning on a solo homer by McVaney to extend their lead to 4-1.
The Flying Tigers pushed across two more runs in the fourth to increase their lead to 6-1.
But it got ugly in the fifth inning. The Flying Tigers batted around in the inning, scoring five runs in the process to give them a commanding 11-1 lead.
Lakeland scored for the final time in the eighth inning. Avisail Garcia opened the frame with a triple to center. Ha later scored on a ground ball by McVaney to give them a 12-1 lead.
The Stone Crabs added to runs to their total in the eighth. Drew Vettleson singled to right. Richie Shaffer followed with a two run homer. But the Stone Crabs couldn’t produce any more runs as they lost 12-3.
Roberto Gomez was charged with the loss for the Stone Crabs. Kyle Ryan was the winning pitcher for Lakeland.
The series continues on Tuesday night at Charlotte Sports Park. Ryan Carpenter will start for the Stone Crabs opposite Kevin Eichhorn for Lakeland.
- Jake Hager (SS): 1 for 4 with a walk and run scored
- Brett Nommensen (LF): 3 for 4 with a double
- Alejandro Segovia (DH): 0 for 4
- Drew Vettleson (RF): 1 for 4 with an RBI and a run scored
- Richie Shaffer (3B): 2 for 4 with a 2 run homer
- Curt Casali (C): 0 for 2
- Ryan McChesney (PH-C): 1 for 2
- Jeff Malm (1B): 0 for 4
- Taylor Motter (2B): 0 for 3
- Kes Carter (CF): 1 for 4
- Roberto Gomez (Loss, 0-4): 6 runs on 9 hits with 2 strikeouts and a walk in 4 inning
- Jake Partridge: 5 runs on 4 hits with a strikeout and 2 walks in 1 inning
- Bruedlin Suero: 2 scoreless innings with a hit and a strikeout
- Austin Hubbard: 1 run on 1 hit with a strikeout in an inning pitched
- Shay Crawford: 1 no-hit inning with a strikeout