The Stone Crabs watched an early lead slip away as they lost the series opener to the Lakeland Flying Tigers on Sunday evening at Charlotte Sports Park. The Stone Crabs have now lost four straight.
The Stone Crabs jumped out to an early lead in the bottom of the second inning. Jeff Malm hit a ground rule double to left. Malm then scored on an RBI single by Steven Tinoco to give the Stone Crabs a 1-0 lead.
The Stone Crabs added to their lead in the third inning. Luke Scott doubled to right to put a runner on the bases. Curt Casali picked up the runner with a single to center, scoring Scott. Casali later scored on an error to extend the lead to 3-0.
Lakeland reached the scoreboard in the fourth inning. They loaded the bases on two singles and a walk. Then Brandon Loy singled home two runs to bring the Flying Tigers to within a run of the lead 3-2.
The Flying Tigers tied the game in the fifth inning. Jeff McVaney delivered an RBI triple to tie the game 3-3.
Lakeland took their first lead of the night by scoring two runs in the seventh. Aaron Westlake drove home two runs with a single to center giving the Flying Tigers a 5-3 lead.
Lakeland added three more runs in the eighth inning. Chad Wright singled home two runs. The third run came on a ground ball by Avisail Garcia to extend their lead to 8-3.
The Flying Tigers posted another three run inning in the ninth to take a commanding 11-3 lead.
The Stone Crabs pushed across a run in the bottom of the ninth. Steve Tinoco drove home Richie Shaffer to bring the score to 11-4.
Jake Floethe fell to 2-3 with the loss. Ryan Robowski was the winning pitcher for Lakeland.
The series continues on Monday night with Roberto Gomez getting the start for the Stone Crabs.
- Jake Hager (SS): 1 for 5
- Drew Vettleson (RF): 2 for 5 with a double
- Luke Scott (DH): 2 for 5 with a double and a run scored
- Brett Nommensen (LF): defensive substitution
- Richie Shaffer (3B): 1 for 4 with a double and a run scored
- Curt Casali (C): 1 for 2 with an RBI, 3 walks and a run scored
- Jeff Malm (1B): 1 for 5 with a double and a run scored
- Steven Tinoco (LF-P): 1 for 4 with 2 RBI’s
- Hector Guevara (2B): 1 for 5
- Taylor Motter (CF): 0 for 3 with a walk
- Jesse Hahn: 3 scoreless innings with 4 strikeouts and 2 walks
- Jake Floethe (Loss, 2-3): 5 runs, 4 earned on 7 hits with a strikeout and 3 walks in 3 innings
- Nate Garcia: 6 runs on 6 hits with 2 strikeouts and 2 walks in 2 2/3 innings
- Steven Tinoco: 1/3 scoreless inning