The Stone Crabs fought hard in the series finale against the Jupiter Hammerheads as they won 7-4 in twelve innings on Saturday night at Roger Dean Stadiums. Both clubs exchanged runs throughout the night, but it was top of the twelfth heroics by the Stone Crabs that would prove to be the difference.
Jupiter jumped out to an early lead by scoring in the first inning. Austin Nola drove home two runs with an RBI double to give them a 2-0 lead.
The Stone Crabs battled back to tie the game in the top of the second. Taylor Motter reached on a force out and then moved into scoring position after stealing second. Jeff Malm then drew a walk to put a second runner on the bases. After a double steal, Jake DePew singled home both runners to tie the game 2-2.
The tie held until the bottom of the fourth when the Hammerheads capitalized on an error to take a 3-2 lead.
The Stone Crabs tied the game yet again in the top of the fifth. Malm lead of the inning with a solo homer to tie the game 3-3.
The Hammerheads made some noise in the seventh as they loaded the bases on Eliazer Suero. But Lenny Linsky came into the game from the bullpen to force an inning ending double play to end the inning and the threat.
The Stone Crabs grabbed their first lead of the night in the top of the eighth inning. Jake Hager drew a walk to lead off the inning. He would later score on an RBI single by Alejandro Segovia to give the Stone Crabs a 4-3 lead.
The Hammerheads scored in the bottom of the ninth on an RBI single by Josh Adams to tie the game and force extra innings.
The Stone Crabs broke the tie in the top of the twelfth inning. Kes Carter and Jake Hager delivered back to back singles to get the rally started. Hector Guevara then brought them home with an RBI double to center, scoring both runners. Guevara later scored on a single by Alejandro Segovia to give the Stone Crabs a 7-4 lead.
The Stone Crabs turned to Austin Hubbard in the bottom of the twelfth who closed the door and preserved the 7-4 extra innings victory.
Nate Garcia was the winner for the Stone Crabs. Hubbard notched the save, his second of the season. Sean Donatello was the losing pitcher for Jupiter.
The Stone Crabs return home to Charlotte Sports Park for a three game series against the St Lucie Mets starting on Sunday. Felipe Rivero is scheduled to start the series opener.
- Jake Hager (SS): 1 for 4 with 2 walks and 2 runs scored
- Hector Guevara (2B): 1 for 6 with a double 2 RBI’s and a run scored
- Drew Vettleson (RF): 1 for 6
- Alejandro Segovia (DH): 2 for 6 with 2 RBI’s
- Kyeong Kang (LF): 2 for 6
- Taylor Motter (3B): 1 for 5 with a run scored
- Jeff Malm (1B): 1 for 4 with a solo homer
- Jake DePew (C): 2 for 4 with 2 RBI’s
- Kes Carter (CF): 1 for 5 with a run scored
- Parker Markel: 3 runs on 6 hits with 4 strikeouts and 3 walks in 3 2/3 innings
- Eliazer Suero: 2 2/3 shut-out innings with 5 hits and a strikeout
- Lenny Linsky: 1 run on 2 hits in 2 2/3 innings
- Nate Garcia (Win, 1-0): 2 shut-out innings with a strikeout and a walk
- Austin Hubbard (Save, 2): 1 scoreless inning with a hit and a strikeout