The Stone Crabs evened the series with the Jupiter Hammerheads following a 2-1 win on Friday night at Roger Dean Stadium. Ryan Carpenter had another stellar outing, allowing just one run in seven innings while striking out ten hitters.
The Stone Crabs scored first, breaking the scoreless tie in the third inning. Jeff Malm led off the frame with a single to right. Kes Carter broke out of his hitless slump with an RBI single to score Malm and give the Stone Crabs a 1-0 lead.
Jupiter fought back to tie the game in the bottom of the fifth on a solo home run by Ross Wilson.
But the Stone Crabs retook the lead in the next inning. Hector Guevara reached on an error and later scored on a sac fly by Richie Shaffer to give the Stone Crabs a 2-1 lead.
The bullpen pitched in to hold the lead and give the Stone Crabs the 2-1 win.
Ryan Carpenter improved to 2-0 on the season. Austin Hubbard picked up the save. Jared Rogers was the losing pitcher for Jupiter.
The series concludes on Saturday at Roger Dean Stadium. Parker Markel (0-2, 7.36) will start the finale against Jose Urena (1-1, 2.63).
- Jake Hager (SS): 2 for 4
- Hector Guevara (2B): reached on an error and scored
- Drew Vettleson (RF): 0 for 4
- Richie Shaffer (3B): 0 for 3 with an RBI
- Alejandro Segovia (DH): 1 for 4 with a double
- Curt Casali (C): 1 for 4
- Jeff Malm (1B): 2 for 3 with a run scored
- Taylor Motter (LF): 0 for 3
- Kes Carter (CF): 2 for 3 with a double
- Ryan Carpenter (Win, 2-0): 1 run on 4 hits with 10 strikeouts and a walk in 7 innings
- Shay Crawford (Hold, 1): 1 no-hit inning with 2 strikeouts
- Austin Hubbard (Save, 1): 1 no-hit inning with 2 strikeouts