Determined to avoid their second straight sweep and put an end to the losing skid, the Stone Crabs came out swinging as turned an early lead into a 5-2 victory over the St Lucie Mets on Wednesday night at Tradition Field. The offense produced two homers and four doubles to help power the win.
The Stone Crabs jumped out to an early led by scoring in the first inning. Jake Hager led of the game with a double to center. Hager later scored on an RBI single by Drew Vettleson to give the Stone Crabs a 1-0 lead.
The Stone Crabs added to their lead in the second frame. Kyeong Kang doubled to right to lead off the inning. Kang scored on an RBI double by Jeff Malm. Jake DePew plated Malm to increase the lead to 3-0.
Richie Shaffer helped extend the lead in the third on a solo homer that gave the Stone Crabs a 4-0 lead.
The Stone Crabs would hold on to the shut-out until bottom of the seventh inning. Aderlin Rodriguez hit a solo homer for the Met first run of the game. Albert Cordero would drive home the second run of the inning to cut the lead in half 4-2.
The Stone Crabs added an insurance run in the top of the ninth inning when Alejandro Segovia delivered his fourth homer of the season to give the Stone Crabs the 5-2 margin of victory.
Jake Floethe picked up the win for the Stone Crabs and Lenny Linsky notched his first save of the season. Marcos Camarena was the losing pitcher for St Lucie.
The Stone Crabs travel to Roger Dean Stadium for their first series against the Jupiter Hammerheads. Roberto Gomez is scheduled to open the series for the Stone Crabs on Thursday.
- Jake Hager (SS): 1 for 5 with a double and a run scored
- Taylor Motter (2B): 0 for 2 with a walk
- Drew Vettleson (CF): 2 for 3 with a double
- Richie Shaffer (3B): 1 for 4 with a solo homer
- Kyeong Kang (LF): 1 for 3 with a double and a run scored
- Alejandro Segovia (DH): 1 for 4 with a solo homer
- Jeff Malm (1B): 1 for 4 with a double, RBI and a run scored
- Steven Tinoco (RF): 0 for 3 with a walk
- Jake DePew (C): 2 for 4 with an RBI
- Jesse Hahn: 3 shut-out innings with a hit and 6 strikeouts
- Jake Floethe (Win, 2-1): 2 runs on 5 hits with 4 strikeouts in 4 innings
- Lenny Linsky (Save, 1): 2 no-hit innings with a strikeout