The Stone Crabs could not contain the powerful offense of the St. Lucie Mets as they lost 13-3 on Tuesday night at Tradition Field. The Stone Crabs gave up two homers, including a grand slam, as they fell for the fifth straight game.
The Mets broke up the scoreless tie by scoring in the bottom of the third inning. Cam Maron drove home two runs on a triple to give the Mets a 2-0 lead.
The Stone Crabs cut the lead in half by scoring in the top of the fourth. Kyeong Kang led off the inning with a double to right. Kang would later score on a sac fly by Richie Shaffer to pull within a run of the lead.
But the Mets struck big in the bottom of the fourth to take a commanding lead. The inning started with a solo homer by Aderlin Rodriguez and went downhill from there. The pushed across five runs in the inning to take a 7-1 lead.
The Stone Crabs picked up two more runs in the top of the sixth inning. Shaffer reached on a single to center to put a runner on the bases. Alejandro Segovia cleared the bases with his third homer of the season, a two run shot to bring the score to 7-3.
The Mets offense had another big inning in the bottom of the sixth as they scored six runs, including a grand slam by Dustin Lawley to extend the lead to 13-3.
The Stone Crabs could not recover from the overwhelming defecit as they fell 13-3.
Felipe Rivero was charged with the loss.
The Stone Crabs send Jesse Hahn to the mound as they try to avoid the sweep in the series finale on Wednesday.
- Jake Hager (SS): 0 for 3
- Hector Guevara (2B): 1 for 4 with a double
- Kyeong Kang (LF): 1 for 4 with a double and a run scored
- Richie Shaffer (3B): 1 for 3 with an RBI and a run scored
- Alejandro Segovia (1B): 1 for 2 with a two run homer
- Jeff Malm (DH): 0 for 4
- Curt Casali (C): 1 for 4
- Taylor Motter (RF): 1 for 3
- Kes Carter (CF): 0 for 3
- Felipe Rivero: 7 runs, 5 earned on 5 hits with 3 strikeouts and 3 walks in 3 1/3 innings
- Eliazer Suero: 5 runs on 4 hits with a strikeout and a walk in 1 2/3 innings
- Shay Crawford: 1 run on 3 hits with 4 strikeouts and a walk in 2 innings
- Steven Tinoco: 1 scoreless inning with a hit