Despite taking an early lead, the Stone Crabs could not overcome a rough sixth inning as they lost to the St Lucie Mets 6-3 in the series opener at Tradition Field. The loss was the fourth straight for the Stone Crabs.
The Stone Crabs jumped out to an early lead in the first inning on a solo home run by Hector Guevara to give them a 1-0 lead.
The Stone Crabs added to their lead in the second inning. Taylor Motter doubled to left to score Curt Casali and increase the lead to 2-0.
The Stone Crabs scored their third unanswered run in the top of the third inning. Jake Hager singled to center and then moved into scoring position after stealing second. Hager later scored on a ground ball by Guevara to give them a 3-0 lead.
Stone Crabs starter Parker Markel was brilliant through the first five frame, not allowing a hit. That is until he got hammered in the bottom of the sixth inning. The Mets struck for six runs off Markel to take the lead 6-3.
The Stone Crabs never recovered as they suffered their fourth straight loss. Markel was charged with the loss for the Stone Crabs. Domingo Tapia was the winning pitcher for St Lucie.
The series continues on Tuesday at Tradition Field. Felipe Rivero will start for the Stone Crabs.
- Jake Hager (SS): 1 for 4 with a run scored and a stolen base
- Hector Guevara (2B): 1 for 4 with a solo home run
- Drew Vettleson (RF): 1 for 4
- Richie Shaffer (3B): 0 for 4
- Kyeong Kang (DH): 0 for 3
- Jeff Malm (1B): 0 for 4
- Curt Casali (C): 2 for 4 with a run scored
- Taylor Motter (LF): 1 for 2 with a double, RBI and a run scored
- Kes Carter (CF): 0 for 3
- Parker Markel (Loss, 0-2): 6 runs on 5 hits with 5 strikeouts and 2 walks in 5 2/3 innings
- Austin Hubbard: 1 1/3 scoreless innings with a hit, 2 strikeouts and a walk
- Nate Garcia: 1 no-hit inning