The Stone Crabs suffered a series sweep at the hands of the red hot Fort Myers Miracle following a 5-2 loss on Sunday afternoon at Charlotte Sports Park. The Stone Crabs lost a later lead after giving up four runs in the seventh inning and could never recover.
The Miracle jumped out to an early lead in the first inning. Miguel Sano delivered an RBI single that scored Angel Morales and gave the Miracle a 1-0 lead.
The Stone Crabs bounced back to tie the game in the second inning. Richie Shaffer led off the inning with a double to left. Shaffer later scored on an RBI single by Luke Bailey to tie the game 1-1.
The Stone Crabs grabbed the lead in the fifth inning. Jake Hager tripled to right to get things going. Hager then scored on a ground ball by Hector Guevara to give the Stone Crabs a 2-1 lead.
The lead held in check until the home half of the seventh inning when the Miracle struck for four runs. Adam Petterson delivered a sac fly to score Jonathan Goncalves to tie the game. Then later in the inning, Miguel Sano delivered a three run homer to give the Miracle a 5-2 lead.
The Stone Crabs couldn’t push across another run as they suffered the 5-2 loss, their third loss in a row.
Jake Partridge was charged with the loss for the Stone Crabs. Chad Rogers picked up the win for the Miracle and Zach Jones recorded the save.
The Stone Crabs now head across the state to Tradition Field for a three game series against the St. Lucie Mets (7-3). Parker Markel (0-1, 6.00) is scheduled to start the series opener against Hansel Robels (0-1, 2.79) for St. Lucie.
- Jake Hager (SS): 2 for 5 with a triple and a run scored
- Hector Guevara (2B): 0 for 3
- Drew Vettleson (RF): 0 for 4
- Richie Shaffer (3B): 1 for 4 with a double and a run scored
- Kyeong Kang (LF): 1 for 4
- Alejandro Segovia (DH): 0 for 4
- Jeff Malm (1B): 1 for 3 with a walk
- Luke Bailey (C): 1 for 4
- Curt Casali (PR): pinch ran in the ninth
- Kes Carter (CF): 0 for 3
- Ryan Carpenter: 1 run in 5 hits with 6 strikeouts and 1 walk in 6 innings
- Jake Partridge (Loss, 0-1): 4 runs on 2 his with 2 strikeouts and a walk in 2 innings