The Stone Crabs were not able to overcome a season high five errors as they watched their late game rally fall short in a 8-7 loss to the Fort Myers Miracle on Saturday night at Charlotte Sports Park. The Stone Crabs committed four innings in the third inning which helped the Miracle post three runs to the scoreboard.
The Miracle jumped out to an early two run lead in the first inning. Miracle slugger Miguel Sano delivered a sac fly to score Angel Morales. Then Eddie Rosario scored on a sac fly by Michael Gonzales to give them a 2-0 lead.
The Miracle increased their lead in the error filled third inning. Kennys Vargas cleared the bases with a three run homer to give the Miracle a 5-0 lead.
The Stone Crabs got back into the game by producing a three run inning of their own in the bottom of the fourth. Drew Vettleson singled to center and then advanced to second on an error. Vettleson later scored on an RBI double by Kyeong Kang. Alejandro Segovia followed with an RBI double to score Kang. Segovia then scored on a singly by Steven Tinoco to pull the Stone Crabs within two runs of the lead, 5-3.
The Miracle picked up an run in the top of the sixth inning. Jonathan Goncalves tripled to left and later scored on a passed ball to give the Miracle a 6-3 lead.
The Miracle added two more insurance runs in the top of the eighth inning. Lance Ray opened up the frame with a line drive single to center. Ray later scored on an RBI single by Kyle Knudson. Knudson would come around and score on an RBI double by Angel Morales to extend the lead to 8-3.
The Stone Crabs put together a late surge in the bottom of the eighth inning. Jake Hager led off the inning with a single to center. Hager then scored on a line drive double by Richie Shaffer. Kang drove home Shaffer with a single to center. The Segovia cleared the bases with a two run homer to pull the Stone Crabs within a run of the lead/
But the Stone Crabs were retired in order in the ninth as they fell to the Miracle by the score of 8-7.
Roberto Gomez was charged with the loss and has fallen to 0-2 on the season. Madison Boer was the winner for Fort Myers and Corey Williams recorded the save.
The series shifts to Hammond Stadium in Fort Myers for the finale. Ryan Carpenter (1-0, 0.00) will start for the Stone Crabs against DJ Baxendale (1-0, 0.00) for Fort Myers.
- Jake Hager (SS): 3 for 5 with a run scored
- Taylor Motter (2B): 0 for 4
- Drew Vettleson (RF): 2 for 4 with a run scored
- Richie Shaffer (3B): 1 for 4 with a double, RBI and a run scored
- Kyeong Kang (LF): 2 for 4 with a double, 2 RBI’s and 2 runs scored
- Alejandro Segovia (DH): 2 for 4 with a double, home run, 3 RBI’s and 2 runs scored
- Curt Casali (C): 0 for 4
- Steven Tinoco (1B): 1 for 4 with an RBI
- Kes Carter (CF): 0 for 4
- Roberto Gomez (Loss, 0-2): 5 runs on 5 hits with 4 strikeouts and 3 walk in 5 innings
- Eliazer Suero: 1 runs on 2 hits with 2 strikeouts and a walk in 2 innings
- Lenny Linsky: 2 runs on 4 hits with 2 strikeouts and a walk in 2 innings