The Stone Crabs late rally fell short as they lost to the Fort Myers Miracle 6-4 in the series opener on Friday night at Charlotte Sports Park. The loss ended the Stone Crabs winning streak and kept Fort Myers undefeated on the season.
The Miracle jumped out to a lead in the third inning. Matt Koch singled home Eddie Rosario to give the Miracle a 1-0 lead.
The Stone Crabs fought back to tie the game in the fifth inning. Kyeong Kang drew a walk and then advanced to scoring position on a single by Taylor Motter. Jake Hager picked up an RBI with a double to right, scoring Kang and tying the game at 1-1.
But Fort Myers offense showed why they are still undefeated by sending eight hitters to the plate in the top of the sixth and pushing across 4 runs to take a 5-1 lead.
The Stone Crabs started to chip away at the lead by scoring in the bottom of the sixth. Drew Vettleson tripled to right to lead off the inning. Vettleson scored on a sac fly by Jeff Malm for the Stone Crabs second run of the night.
The Miracle added another run of their own in the seventh on a sac fly by Andy Leer to score Michael Gonzales and extend the lead to 6-2.
The Stone Crabs picked up a run in the bottom of the eighth inning on a sac fly by Richie Shaffer to score Hector Guevara. Then another in the ninth on an RBI single by Taylor Motter. But the Stone Crabs fell short of the six runs needed to tie and suffered a 6-4 loss.
Jake Floethe suffered the loss and fell to 1-1 on the season. Matthew Summers was the winning pitcher for the Miracle.
The series resumes on Saturday night at Charlotte Sports Park. The Stone Crabs will send Roberto Gomez (0-1, 6.75) to the mound against Madison Boer (0-0, 15.43) for Fort Myers.
- Jake Hager (SS): 1 for 5 with a double
- Hector Guevara (2B): 1 for 4 with a double and a run scored
- Drew Vettleson (RF): 1 for 4 with a triple and a run scored
- Richie Shaffer (3B): 1 for 3 with an RBI
- Jeff Malm (1B): 0 for 3 with an RBI
- Alejandro Segovia (DH): 0 for 3 with a walk
- Kyeong Kang (LF): 2 for 2 with a double, 2 walks and 2 runs scored
- Luke Bailey (C): 1 for 4
- Taylor Motter (CF): 2 for 4 with an RBI
- Jesse Hahn: 1 run on 5 hits with 3 strikeouts and a walk in 3 innings
- Jake Floethe (Loss, 1-1): 5 runs on 5 hits with 3 strikeouts and 2 walks in 3 2/3 innings
- Austin Hubbard: 2 1/3 scoreless innings with a hit and 2 strikeouts