One night after dominating their opponent, the Stone Crabs could not counter the offensive attack of the Palm Beach Cardinals as they fell 8-1 in the series finale at Charlotte Sports Park. The Stone Crabs gave up three home runs to the Cardinals including two by Cardinal prospect Stephen Piscotty.
The Cardinals broke the scoreless tie in the top of the third inning. Anthony Garcia delivered a sac fly to score Matt Williams and give the Cardinals a 1-0 lead.
The Cardinals added to their lead in the fourth inning on the first of two home runs by Piscotty. The two run blast increased their lead to 3-0.
Then the Cardinals offense pummeled Stone Crabs reliever Nate Garcia for four runs in the seventh inning. Garcia delivered a two run home to center followed by a two run home by Piscotty to extend the lead to 7-0.
The Stone Crabs lone run came in the bottom of the seventh inning. Alejandro Segovia doubled to right to lead off the frame. Segovia advanced to third on a single by Curt Casali. Segovia later scored on a ground ball by Stephen Tinoco for the Stone Crabs only run of the evening.
The Cardinals pushed across one final run in the eighth inning. James Ramsey doubled to left to lead off the inning. He later scored on a wild pitch by Jacob Partridge to hand the Stone Crabs the 8-1 loss.
Roberto Gomez was charged with the loss for the Stone Crabs. Tyler Melling was the winning pitcher for Palm Beach.
The Stone Crabs are off on Monday before starting a three game series against the Bradenton Marauders (0-4) on Tuesday night at Charlotte Sports Park.
- Jake Hager (SS): 0 for 4
- Hector Guevara (2B): 0 for 4
- Drew Vettleson (RF): 1 for 4
- Richie Shaffer (3B): 2 for 4
- Jeff Malm (DH): 0 for 4
- Alejandro Segovia (1B): 1 for 4 with a double and a run scored
- Curt Casali (C): 2 for 4
- Steven Tinoco (LF): 1 for 4
- Taylor Motter (CF): 1 for 2 with a double, a walk and a stolen base
- Roberto Gomez (Loss, 0-1): 3 runs on 5 hits with 2 strikeouts and 2 walks in 4 innings pitched
- Andrew Bellatti: 2 scoreless innings with 2 hits, 2 strikeouts and a walk
- Nate Garcia: 4 runs on 5 hits in an inning pitched
- Jacob Partridge: 1 run on 2 hits with a strikeout in 2 innings pitched