The Stone Crabs couldn’t overcome an early deficit as they lost the series opener against the Jupiter Hammerheads on Friday night at Roger Dean Stadium.
The Hammerheads broke the scoreless tie in the bottom of the third inning. Christian Yelich struck a two run homer to give them a 2-0 lead.
The Stone Crabs cut the lead in half in the top of the fifth inning. Cody Rogers hit a solo blast to right, his fourth of the season, to pull the Stone Crabs to within a run of the lead 2-1.
But Jupiter picked up some insurance in the form of two more runs in the seventh inning. Marcell Ozuna and Mark Canha each knocked home a run to give the Hammerheads the 4-1 margin of victory.
Albert Suarez suffered the loss for the Stone Crabs and has fallen to 5-8 on the season.
The series resumes on Saturday night at Roger Dean Stadium. Enny Romero will be on the mound opposite Adam Conley for Jupiter.
- Kevin Kiermaier (CF): 0 for 4
- Todd Glaesmann (RF): 0 for 4
- Steven Tinoco (DH): 1 for 3 with a walk
- Phil Wunderlich (1B): 1 for 4
- Riccio Torrez (3B): 1 for 4
- Robby Price (2B): 1 for 4
- David Wendt (C): 0 for 3
- Robi Estrada (SS): 1 for 3
- Cody Rogers (LF): 1 for 3 with a solo homer
- Albert Suarez (Loss, 5-8): 2 run on 5 hits with 4 strikeouts and 2 walks in 4 2/3 innings
- Chris Andujar: 2 runs on 3 hits in 1 2/3 innings
- Jim Patterson: 1 2/3 scoreless innings with a hit