The Stone Crabs lost Sunday’s get-away game against the Dunedin Blue Jays 8-2 to split the series at two games a piece. The Stone Crabs never recovered from a six run second inning put up by the Blue Jays.
The Blue Jays used three long balls to score six run in the second inning. Kevin Ahrens led off the inning with a solo homer. Then Jack Murphy had a three run blast followed by a two run homer by Ryan Schimpf to give the Blue Jays a 6-0 lead.
The Stone Crabs were held off the scoreboard until the seventh inning. Steven Tinoco singled to center followed by a walk to Cody Rogers to put two runners on the bases. Riccio Torrez then doubled home Tinoco to help the Stone Crabs avoid the shut-out. Luke Bailey then drove home Rogers to give the Stone Crabs their second run of the inning but they still trailed 6-2.
But the Blue Jays countered with two runs of their own in the eighth inning. Justin Jackson and Jonathan Jones each drove home an run to give the Blue Jays the 8-2 margin of victory.
Albert Suarez suffered the loss for the Stone Crabs, falling to 5-7 on the season.
The Stone Crabs now return home to Charlotte Sports Park to open a four game series against the Tampa Yankees. Enny Romero will start the opener opposite Shane Greene for Tampa.
- Kevin Kiermaier (CF): 1 for 3 with a walk
- Robby Price (2B): 0 for 4
- Todd Glaesmann (RF): 0 for 4
- Phil Wunderlich (1B): 1 for 4
- Steven Tinoco (DH): 2 for 4 with a run scored
- Cody Rogers (LF): 0 for 3 with a walk and a run scored
- Riccio Torrez (3B): 1 for 3 with a double and an RBI
- Luke Bailey (C): 1 for 3 with an RBI
- Hector Guevara (SS): 0 for 2 with a walk
- Albert Suarez (Loss, 5-7): 6 runs on 9 hits in 4 innings
- Eliazer Suero: 2 runs on 4 hits with 2 walks in 3 2/3 innings
- George Jensen: no hit 1/3 inning