The Stone Crabs watched their three game winning streak come on an end as they were blasted by the Clearwater Threshers 9-2 on Saturday at Charlotte Sports Park. The Threshers hit starter CJ Riefenhauser hard, tagging him for six runs before his departure.
Clearwater jumped out to an early lead in the first inning. Jim Murphy drove home a run with a double to left to give them a 1-0 lead.
The Threshers then added to their lead in the second following a two-run homer by Anthony Hewitt to extend the lead to 3-0.
Clearwater would get two more in the third on an RBI single by Cameron Rupp that scored two runs and gave the Threshers a commanding 5-0 lead.
The Stone Crabs pushed across their first run of the night in the bottom of the third inning. Hector Guevara reached base on his tenth double of the season. He would later score on an RBI single by Derek Dietrich to pull the Stone Crabs within four runs of the lead, 5-1.
Clearwater got the run back an inning later on a solo home run by Edgar Duran, his first of two in the game.
The Threshers rounded out their scoring spree in the sixth inning on Duran’s second homer of the game, this time it was a three run shot to right to increase their lead to 9-1.
The Stone Crabs added another run to their total in the ninth inning. David Wendt singled home Mikie Mahtook to give them their second and final run of the night.
Riefenhauser was charged with the loss and is now 7-6 on the season. He has struggled in his last five starts, going 0-4 during that stretch and giving up 23 runs in those five games.
The series against Clearwater concludes on Sunday evening at Charlotte Sports Park. Braulio Lara is scheduled to start the finale opposite Adam Morgan for Clearwater.
- Robby Price (LF): 0 for 5
- Hector Guevara (2B): 2 for 3 with a double and a run scored
- Steven Tinoco (1B): 3 for 4
- Derek Dietrich (SS): 1 for 4
- Mikie Mahtook (RF): 1 for 4 with a run scored
- Riccio Torrez (3B): 0 for 3
- Phil Wunderlich (DH): 0 for 3
- David Wendt (C): 2 for 4
- Kevin Kiermaier (CF): 0 for 1
- Cody Rogers (PH-CF): 1 for 3
- CJ Riefenhauser (Loss, 7-6): 6 runs on 5 hits with 5 strikeouts and 3 walks in 5 innings
- George Jensen: 3 runs on 3 hits with a strikeouts and a walk