The Stone Crabs struggled to produce runs as they fell 6-1 to the Daytona Cubs on Tuesday night at Jackie Robinson Ballpark.
The Cubs took advantage of Stone Crabs errors to aid them in scoring three runs in the third inning, breaking the scoreless tie and giving them a 3-0 lead.
The Stone Crabs scored their lone run in the top of the seventh. Riccio Torrez singled on a bunt to lead off the inning. Torrez would later score on a sac fly by Robi Estrada to pull within two runs of the lead, 3-1.
But the Cubs once again benefited from the Stone Crabs miscues as they used an error and two walks to help them score three more runs in the bottom of the seventh to lift them to the 6-1 margin of victory.
Albert Suarez was charged with the loss for the Stone Crabs.
The series concludes on Wednesday afternoon at Jackie Robinson Ballpark. Eliazer Suero will start the finale against a pitcher to be named later for Daytona.
- Robby Price (LF): 1 for 4
- Hector Guevara (DH): 0 for 3 with a walk
- Derek Dietrich (SS): 3 for 4 with a double
- Mikie Mahtook (RF): 0 for 4
- Phil Wunderlich (1B): 0 for 4
- Riccio Torrez (3B): 2 for 4 with a run scored
- Cody Rogers (CF): 0 for 2 with 2 walks and a stolen base
- David Wendt (C): 0 for 4
- Robi Estrada (2B): 0 for 2 with an RBI
- Albert Suarez (Loss, 5-6): 6 runs on 8 hits with 2 strikeouts and 2 walks in 6 2/3 innings
- George Jensen: 1 2/3 scoreless innings with 1 hit