The Stone Crabs battled back from a 3-0 deficit to tie the game in the top of the ninth only to lose in the bottom of the ninth by a run.
Daytona capitalized on a lead-off walk in the first inning to score a run and take a 1-0 lead.
The Cubs added two more runs in the bottom of the fourth to extend their lead to 3-0.
The Stone Crabs finally reached the scoreboard in the top of the fifth inning. Cody Rogers reached in a force out and then later scored on an RBI double by Matt Joyce. Derek Dietrich drove home Joyce with an RBI single to pull the Stone Crabs to within a run of the lead 3-2.
The Stone Crabs tied the game in the top of the ninth. Rogers singled to center to put a runner on the bases. Rogers then stole second and advanced to third on a balk. Riccio Torrez then delivered a pinch hit RBI single to score Rogers and tie the game 3-3.
But the Cubs used home field advantage to score in the bottom of the ninth and earn the walk-off win. Ronald Torreyes doubled home John Andreolli to give the Cubs a 4-3 win in the series opener.
Chris Rearick was charged with the loss.
- Matt Joyce (RF): 1 for 3 with a double and an RBI
- Kevin Kiermaier (CF): defensive sub
- Riccio Torrez (PH-3B): 1 for 1 with an RBI
- Hector Guevara (2B): 0 for 4
- Mikie Mahtook (CF-RF): 0 for 3 with a walk
- Derek Dietrich (SS): 1 for 4 with an RBI
- Steven Tinoco (DH): 1 for 4
- Robby Price (3B-LF): 1 for 4
- Phil Wunderlich (1B): 1 for 4 with a double
- Luke Bailey (C): 0 for 3 with a walk
- Cody Rogers (LF-CF): 1 for 4 with 2 runs scored
- CJ Riefenhauser: 3 runs on 5 hits with 2 strikeouts and 4 walks in 4 innings
- Alex Koronis: 4 1/3 scoreless innings allowing 2 hits with 4 strikeouts and a walk
- Chris Rearick (Loss, 2-3): 1 run on 1 with with a walk in 1/3 inning